Will clownfish be safe with coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moonjelly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to marine keeping and this might sound silly but what are the chances of corals eating a clownfish?

At my local store there was a clownfish that really liked a 'giant mushroom coral' (what the guy called it). Having just bought a matched pair of clowns, we asked if we could order one of these corals too, which should be available this week. Now I'm worried I'll have my eyes glued to the tank making sure they are okay! I don't want to loose these clowns

Very little that they will be eaten (unless you get a condy anemone ) or an unhealthy clown fish ..
There is more chance that the clown may host something to death . By that I mean they will host it and stress it till it dies off .. it wont come out to eat etc .. However that is also a slim chance

Thank you for your reply. I find it confusing finding out what corals are called to be honest. As I say, the guy in the shop referred to a 'giant mushroom' coral. Have you heard of this specifically? I know there are many types of mushroom coral and do they differ from leather coral? Because again, it's confusing and different websites say different things and some say mushrooms are leathers!

I agree with Sadie. Clownfish are safe with corals. As she mentioned a clown might be to physical while hosting a coral but that rarely happens.

The best bet would be to get the scientific name and not go by the "common" aka, made up by the LFS/collector names......

The only thing I'm worried about now is if it's a giant mushroom cup coral..they seem bad for eating things? I'm not risking one of those if that's what they have in mind for me.

I'm hoping it IS something like a toadstool leather but he said "giant mushroom"...that's all he said. Like I say, the shop had a clown that liked this particular mushroom coral..so I asked if they would order me one. But I haven't SEEN one in a couple of weeks because the original one got sold...I could just remember their clown hosting it. If it IS a giant mushroom cup they order me I'm not taking that home!!

Next time you are there ask him for a picture of the item or the scientific name but if he does order it do NOT pay anything till you see it that way you are not obliged to get it .. that way you can research it . Or if they have it take a pic for ID , I know that may not be optimal but we may be able to ID that for you ;)

Hello thanks for the advise everyone.

I went to the shop today to clear things up. To cut a long story short I explained my concerns about this giant mushroom malarchy and have cancelled the order. Fortunately he hadn't gone to collect me one yet (he goes tomorrow) so now I have explained things he is going to check out some nice leathers for me, probably toadstool leathers or similar..i think they look great.

There still seemed to be some confusion about what he was going to get me, but he wasn't thinking of a toadstool leather!! So goodness knows. I think it's been a communication problem with staff too. This guy knows his stuff and is going to help me with something more suitable.

Back
Top Bottom