Will ich affect cleaner shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a 132g fish only tank. But my question is if I keep my existing 20g nano as a hospital/quarantine tank to stock sick/new fish will that cause a problem to my red line cleaner skunk (will not be moving the shrimp into the main tank)?

Will ich or any other diseases affect the redline cleaner shrimp? Say for example if I found out a blue tang has ich and I moved it into my quarantine tank to let the cleaner shrimp clean its body, not dosing any medications because they will sure kill inverts and will the ich cause any problem to the shrimp? Or ich only affects fish not inverts?

I will only have a redline cleaner shrimp, some hermit crabs, some softies in this 20g tank nothing else will a sick fish bring any problem into this tank?

Ick will not bother inverts. Also, don't plan on that shrimp being able to "cure" or rid any fish of ick. Medications, mostly copper based or hyposalinity treatments are best bets. Copper will render the tank unable to ever have inverts again though. They can't do copper and it stays in the tank even though not treating any longer.

But, until you ever have to treat, the shrimp will be fine there.

I agree, ich will not host inverts.
Say for example if I found out a blue tang has ich and I moved it into my quarantine tank to let the cleaner shrimp clean its body
That is good thinking, but I don't believe the shrimp would be able to keep up with the fast reproduction rate of ich.

Back
Top Bottom