Will plexiglass bond to acrylic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of adding a divider in my acrylic sump. I have some plexiglass in the garage that I could cut to fit. Was just wondering if it would bond to acrylic using the aquarium silicon sealant.

Some others here may be able to correct me but the aquarium sealant does not bond anything. It would just seal them together. In order to bond they would need an adhesive that reacts with both pieces and chemically bonds them.

it depends on how much pressure there will be on the acrylic. If the pressure is equal on both sides the silicone will work just fine.

Plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic. You can glue them together but you will need a cement designed for acrylic bonding. Weldon 3,4 or 16 will work, the 3 and 4 are water thin and have to be applied with an applicator (the 3 dries faster than the 4) and the 16 has a syrupy consistency. There is also a product called "plastic welder", I don't remember who makes it (maybe Devcon?) that would also work and probably be easier for you to find for this single project. You may be able to find the pthers locally, look in the yellow pages under plastics and see if you have any listings. Good luck, Skip

As a general rule, silicone doesn't stick, adhere, or work well with acrylic. It will stick to glass though.

Back
Top Bottom