Will three Clownfish get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will three Clownfish get along? I have read that it will, but I trust everyone here more than the book!

If you have a big enough tank, yes 3 clowns will work. One will gain dominance over the others and become the female of the group.

How big of a tank will they need? I want to upgrade to a 180g soon. Thanks for your help!

I have always heard once two of them pair up they will kill the third...

redsea said:
Will three Clownfish get along? I have read that it will, but I trust everyone here more than the book!

Yes, they should get along cause I had 10 of them in the same tank

For a while maybe, its only a matter of time before they kill the 3rd. I have a buddy who added a 3rd to a 300 gallon. It lasted 13 days... There are literally hundreds of stories on the forum of paired clowns killing other clowns in the tank and a few stories of different pairs living together. I feel my first post was ignored so here it is again... 99% chance IT WILL NOT WORK. If death doesn’t come sooner it will come later.

Won't work unfortunately. Two will pair up then the odd one out will be killed. The only reason why a group of 10 would work, is because the dominant female and the male will disperse their aggression throughout the entire group, instead of just one clownfish.

depends on a couple of things,type of clowns,size of tank and other fish in tank.I have a friend who has a 200g(uk gallon) tank with 4 different pairs of clowns which get along.It also depends on age of clowns.
Clowns which are young(around 3-6 months) get along fine and will do so if in large enough tank with enough territory spaces and with variuos fish.I have at the moment 50 young clowns in 2 very small tanks which all get along fine,I also have another tank with 2 perculas(paired and breeding) and 2 picasso clowns just pairing which all get along fine.Please dont quote me on this but clowns can get along fine but i reccommend they are very young when brought together,otherwise clowns can and will be very aggressive towards each other for dominance and territory.As with their personality which can be total amazing to each other so can their dominance and aggression.No two clowns are the same

Last edited:
clowns

here is my experience.i have two clarki in a 65 gal.with one green chromis.i added three more all about a year old.at first the two originals seem to separate from the other three.in a matter of two days one of the new fish became the dominant females mate and her old love was banished to the other end of the tank with the other two.in less than a week the two largest of the three outcast were killed off.all that remains is the mating couple and the smallest newbie.this situation has remained for about ten months now.i was under the impression in a 65 gal tank five could work it out not the case.sad experience but lesson learned.

Just to add my story in lol, I had two pairs of clowns, orange oscellaris and B&W oscellaris and they were fine for a few months. BUT overnight it seemed to change and the orange ones started attacking the b&w's. They had to be removed that day or they would have killed the other pair. And this was in a 125g tank so there was definitely enough room but still didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom