Woke up to a graveyard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

This morning all my fish are dead. Inverts including anemones all fine. Anyways all that I added was some sea grass from an estuary, and some super glue to hold some rocks. I think it was the super glue, but my dad swears it was from the plants introducing something. Any thoughts? Right now im running carbon, and am going to have to collect ocean water for a large water change. Im sure some of you saw this coming... :?

WOW, that is horrible :cry:

IMO, the superglue would not have caused this...I've super glued countless frags etc in my tank and have never experienced a problem. Possibly something was introduced in the grass you added?

Sorry dude :( . What was the grand total? I guess you can go ahead with that aggressive tank now. I would say it was from the plants as well, or the water that you tansported them in.

i'd say the plants from the estuary. superglue is pretty non-toxic...I've used it to seal cuts on my fingers before, and know a few people who've swallowed some (prying the cap off the glue with their teeth, and then it sprayed into their mouth).

That sucks to lose so many fish :(

Hey when you guys says "super glue" you mean the regular drug store super glue ?????????? You guys use that on your LR ?????? How do you do it...... can I just apply a little and put the rock together in the tank??? please help...... new to all of this..........

and REALLY sorry to hear about your tank man........

I'm so sorry. That has to suck. I can't even venture a guess as to the cause, and actually no one was expecting this. Not any more any way, your tangs were doing so good.

Was it superglue gel or the liquid? I cant vouce for the liquid but the superglue gel is not the culprit if you used it. We all use it with out thinking twice to secure frags.

c0mf0rt, I wouldnt use it to secure rocks together. It would do very little to acutally keep the rocks together beyond keeping them from toppling over by a slight touch. We use superglue to secure frags together for the most part. That is superglue GEL.

Thanks everyone.. Yes it was the gel type, I have used it before, and never had a problem but this was a different brand and I just wasn't sure. I also used it in my reef tank and the corals are fine. The 8 yellow tangs were dead, the palani tang was still alive so I put him in my mom's 26 gallon to try and save him and he died a few minutes later. My clarkii clown was lieing motion less so I put him in my 15 gal reef, and he is now looking much better and swims normally. My trio of cardinals and 3 chromis remain in the tank and seem fine. So I guess it was the seagrass. I have added macro several times before with no ill effect. I guess there must have been something bad on that day. No water was added at all, but I didn't rinse the grass either. So im assuming now it was some type of bacteria, or even some toxic micro algae that came from the grass. What should I do at this point? Leave the carbon and water changes obviously, but should I leave the tank fishless for a month? Once again thanks

Not sure, but I would leave it fishless for awhile, just to be safe. Must have been a toxin of some sort. I know you get the occasional "red tide" down there, maybe it was a isolated incidence of something similar. Maybe the bad weather has blown somthing into your little cove, I know...its a reach. :?
Did you check the ammonia? Or maybe the TDS?
Why not do some changes with synthetic salt instead of Ocean salt to be safe.
No one, should/better use the "I told you so", this was an anomoly of some sort. I feel bad, you do not deserve this outcome.

Hey man, I am very sorry to hear about your fish!!! My yellow tank is one of my most favorite fishes, right next to my black moore!!! It would be painful if s/he died, much less nine of them!!!

I wanted to add my three cents on super glue. Most people dont' realize this, but it was actually invented by the military as a means of closing open cuts and wounds in the field in the event of war and no hospital close by. It is still included in every first aide kit I saw in the military, and when I cut my finger off the emergency room doc SUPER GLUED it back on, of all things, I was scared to death it was gonna fall back off, but turns out that it healed without even a noticable scar!!!

So with this said, the super glues that you buy today have changed chemically from the original glue, but "most" of these changed have actually been to make it less toxic. I've never used it in my fish tank, but I would be fairly willing to with a brand recommendation from someone who has used it. Anything that was designed to put on a cut I can't see being that much of a problem, haha.

So, that being said, sorry again about your fish man, words can't possibly express how badly that sucks.

Not sure, but I would leave it fishless for awhile, just to be safe. Must have been a toxin of some sort. I know you get the occasional "red tide" down there
I would agree.
If you are in the "hurricane zone" I kmow it is standard practice at a wastwater treatment plant to dose heavy with stuff and release the water more quickly if they are overloaded with "stuff"

Sorry about your loss

Wow. Sorry about your fish. Don't give up!

I doubt it was the superglue, but I found this to be an interesting read:
http://www.ada.org.au/media/documen...hives/1999 Archive/December/Thumwanit 248.pdf

Main breakdown products are cyanoacetate and formaldehyde. Interestingly, cyanoacrylate (superglue) is an organo-cyanide [CN group single-bonded to another carbon atom, and superglue is monomers of (C5H5NO2)CH2=C(CN)COOCH3]. I don't know if it can breakdown into cyanide but someone more schooled in chem can likely let us know.

The interesting part of that article is that most breakdown products dissappear after 24 hours, with cytotoxic substances still released within two weeks.

A less toxic and stronger superglue [don't know if this is actually accurate] appropriate for animal and humnan use appears to be a butyl cyanoacrylate or octyl cyanoacrylate derivative (the surgical grade stuff), but it can be a tad bit expensive (some are around $20).

Back
Top Bottom