Wooden canopy lid warping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an All Glass wooden canopy with a lid that is starting to warp. The side oposite the hinges (ie the side with the handle) is starting to curl up on both ends. Would it be safe to attach a metal "L" bracket (the length of the lid) to the lid to pull it back straight and keep it from warping? Would the metal bracket affect the water quality at all?

Or, is there a better solution?

TIA

As long as the metal is not in direct contact with the water it should be fine. I would suggest you seal it with some kind of clear coat to discourage rust and corrosion.

Being a woodworker; if it's already warping, your bracket is a temporary solution. Your canopy will continue to degrade. If you like the geometry, copy it. Build your own out of decent materials.

Mine is five years old this Fall and it looks the same as the day I put it up.

ditto runway. It would only cost you about 30-50 for the wood if you use pine. Or probably 75 for oak. Easy to build very simple designs on most.

So if I replace the lid with one I build what is to keep it from warping as well? I am by no means an expert woodworker but I believe wood and damp places do not mix well.

A good thick coat of polyeurethane. Make sure you coat the edges as well as the faces of the boards. I have plywood in my bath right by the faucets, I have had many leaks (I do wood but I'm not a plumber :lol: ) I coated it all in poly and have had no leakage. Also your canopy may be veneered particle board which is very prone to warping and expansion. (bloat)

I would use your favorite faced plywood (3/4" thick). It comes faced in maple, cherry, oak, birch, etc. Plywood is far more stable than solid wood and also much cheaper.

Then, poly would work good but I would go with a spar-varnish (technically, I think it's still a polyurethane as well). Spar-varnish was developed for the old wooden boats and we all know what water they sailed on, right?

Back
Top Bottom