Would it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was wondering if mixing argonite with sand prove to be benficial or even work for that matter..I have the arg. in my tank now but I want to go DSB. I'm too lazy to do a complete change..but if i have to i will..i did however read an article lately that said that nitrification takes place in the first 2 inches anyway..so whats the need for 4? I know all this sounds stupid. But hey..If i don't ask..I could be just throwing money away.please help...

Read up on DSB's. Less than 4 inches is a SSB (shallow) and nitrification will occur. That turns nitrite into nitrate. Nitrates in small doses (under 40ppm) are ok for fish but not for corals.
A DSB of 6" or more allows for denitrification, the conversion of nitrate into nitrogen gas. This can be seen as occasional bubbles rising from the sand bed.

Now as for leaving the CC substrate, that would not work because the cc will work it's way to the surface creating a barrier to sand sifters, etc.

Check out Dr. Ron Shimek's article ondeep sand beds.

would DSB in a sump of fuge work for denitrification then? Sorry I know I sound like a fool.

As long as it was deep and large enough. Changing out your substrate is not all that hard honestly.

gotz_potential said:
would DSB in a sump of fuge work for denitrification then? Sorry I know I sound like a fool.

DSBs work well in both the display or in a sump/fuge. I know of several people who preferred the look of a SSB in their display, but put a DSB in their sump/fuge for the denitrification.

I'd still take out the CC though.

my biggest concern...

My worries really aren't the difficulty of the task..its my mandrin and my 2 anemones..i have a carpet and a condy...i've had both for almost 2 years now....would those guys make things hard or not...I'd hate to lose them..but my nitrates always fluctuate between 0ppm to about 25ppm...

Back
Top Bottom