Would like some info please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All,

Ive been setting up my 75gal as a reef tank, I have about 80 to 90lbs of uncured live rock and 20lbs of live sand, my question is how long does LR take to cure and will it cycle at the same time?
The rock has been in for 1 1/2 weeks(NO water changes as of yet,Just adding) . I have an algae bloom taking place,and I have found numerous little critters,thousands of TINY,TINY little white things jumping around the rock... 6 to 10 round little dots with many legs on the glass. Numerous tube worms 1 has to be a 1/4 thick,a pistol shrimp and a larger ominous looking shrimp . I have a 700 gph pumping from the sump and a 950 on a closed loop ( soon to be a 1800,3 foot head to get 1350 at SCWD).and two 350gph powerheads,a coralife skimmer rated for a 125 gal, A coralife 265 watt power compact w/moonlights. Should I be doing anything that Im not aware of or any tips.(this is my very first attempt at a saltwater tank) Or do I just sit back and wait for the day to add my cleaning crew and other inhabitants. Any tips, critizisms, are greatly welcome.

Help a noob... (y)

Are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? If so post numbers, if your not go get these test kits asap. There is no set time limit for a cycle every tank is different. Was the LR cured? Where did you get it from.
Do a search on google for a manits shrimp and see if you ominous shrimp looks like one of these, if he dose you want him out of the tank asap.
Add nothing till your sure the cycle is over, keep up on top off so the salinity stays the same and read, read and read more. Take things slow ask questions and you will be fine.
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

seaham358 said:
Are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? If so post numbers, if your not go get these test kits asap. There is no set time limit for a cycle every tank is different. Was the LR cured? Where did you get it from.
Do a search on google for a manits shrimp and see if you ominous shrimp looks like one of these, if he dose you want him out of the tank asap.
Add nothing till your sure the cycle is over, keep up on top off so the salinity stays the same and read, read and read more. Take things slow ask questions and you will be fine.
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

To answer your questions I dont have a ammonia test kit yet but I have Nitrate/Nitrite/PH strips for now...
2. The live rock was UNcured and I got it from Premium Aquatics . com
3. The traps are set for my guest :twisted: Although he will be unharmed and treated fairly, Unless he resists arrest then its by any means necessary... nah just joking ,he wont be harmed...

How will the ammonia start its climb if there is no fish??? with the critters that came with the UNcured liverock.

there is always die off on uncured live rock, that will supply your ammonia source.

Thanks for the info everyone, I have a few more questions,I have been reading but some of the info doesnt jive with what I read on these forums.

Like for instance,

Should I be doing water changes during the curing process?

Should I be feeding the rock and its inhabitants?

Should I remove the algae thats growing on the glass?

Should I be vacuuming the substrate (sand bottom) has piles of tube worm waste and die off stuff falling off the rock?

Or do what I think,which is Leave all of this alone UNTIL the rock has cured and the tank cycle's is complete then do the vacuum(or just add a cleaning crew, do they eat that ummm stuff :yum: ) and 50% water change.

I wait until the cycle is completely done before doing the water changes and clean up.

Hara said:
I wait until the cycle is completely done before doing the water changes and clean up.

Thats what I thought, So thats what I will do just adding water because of evaporation... and buying myself an ammonia test kit...

Back
Top Bottom