Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve silbernagel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just scored a bunch from a friend that needed to cut his back. My question is how do I get them to stay put where I want them until they plant

You could use a rubber band,zip tie or the like. I did one by just wedging it in my rock other one I did with rubber band it was to tight and broke off :( . Or frag it to a small rock,shell or other object. Use super glue gel with ingredient cyanoacrylate . They use it at lfs for there frags. I personal like this brand.online has a lot of tips for fragging.

Attachments

• image-3011651863.jpg
    image-3011651863.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 101
Yep we just bought a nice one and you can see the glue. I talk to the guy at the lfs and ask him about the coral glue he told me save my money and buy it else where.I always let mine dry for a little bit and put it in a bucket with some tank water. That's me though some people glue right in there tanks I'm not that brave yet.you can do it and it's fun.

Attachments

• image-3454560516.jpg
    image-3454560516.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 168
  • image-100215192.jpg
    image-100215192.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 113
Ya better get that glue if it's a Kenya tree. Lol. When you have had it for awhile it will start dropping branches and you will have a bunch of frags. My one Kenya tree is now 5. Lol. And soon to be more. But don't worry about it dropping branches. It's already starting to grow new ones.

dlsrks said:
Yeah it's one of my favorites.

I put my xenia on the side glass its a fast grower being on the glass i just scrape off with razor blade as it grows out cause it can quickly take over i bought one stalk a year ago ive sold at least 30 stalks since then and still have about 15 or more but i used to attach to a rock with toothpick thru the base then into a small hole in the rock in 2 days you can pull the toothpick out

I've had my Xenia for three years and it never has done much growth. I was feeding my corals zooplankton and phytoplankton premixed liquid by kent. I changed over to chili reef from BRS and mix it with Cyclopes E. All the corals have tripled in size even the Xenia. They love it.

Xenia will quickly become a pain in the butt. I really regret adding it to my tank. I now have to weed it out an throw it away, it grows too fast an becomes a nuisance an my lfs doesn't want to buy it because nobody wants any. Id recommend not putting it in your tank. Its pretty at first, but loses its appeal after a bit.

Chad36 said:
Xenia will quickly become a pain in the butt. I really regret adding it to my tank. I now have to weed it out an throw it away, it grows too fast an becomes a nuisance an my lfs doesn't want to buy it because nobody wants any. Id recommend not putting it in your tank. Its pretty at first, but loses its appeal after a bit.

Thats excactly why i grow it on the glass so i can scrape it off when it gets to thick it is good for exporting nutrients tho nothing like macroalgae but it does to a degree

Yeah, I've never tried growing on glass, that would make it easier. I went to a predominant sps tank though an I swear every time I think it's gone it sprouts up somewhere else. Needless to say, I'm just over it!

Chad36 said:
Yeah, I've never tried growing on glass, that would make it easier. I went to a predominant sps tank though an I swear every time I think it's gone it sprouts up somewhere else. Needless to say, I'm just over it!

I did same thing went more sps i swear i spent 2 hours pullin xenia off a rock that it had takin over and then for a month afterward i was finding little small stalks growing here and there im not a fan anymore either

I have grown to hate Xenia too. Every month I spend time scraping the excess off the walls and glass. It's getting ridiculous.

sanderson417 said:
I have grown to hate Xenia too. Every month I spend time scraping the excess off the walls and glass. It's getting ridiculous.

That and star polyps

I've had my Xenia for three years and it never has done much growth. I was feeding my corals zooplankton and phytoplankton premixed liquid by kent. I changed over to chili reef from BRS and mix it with Cyclopes E. All the corals have tripled in size even the Xenia. They love it.

never heard of Xenia's not spreading like weeds, they either spread like weeds or just die off.

Back
Top Bottom