Xenia out of Control!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawling68

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, my girlfriends xenia has grown wild very fast, how can i frag it. I would hate to just start ripping them off the rocks, so whats the proper way?

Take your scissors and clip them as close to the rock as possible. If you no longer want them on that rock you'd have to scrub the remaining stalk off or it will just regrow, no matter how much is left behind. Take a toothpick. Stick the end of the toothpick through the bottom part of the stalk and then use a rubberband to hold the toothpick to a rock so that the Xenia is touching the rock. In a couple of days you'll be able to remove the toothpick and the xenia will have attached to the rock. Works like a charm. They will walk off the rock if they get crowded or want to climb up to the light.

Take'm to the LFS. They'll ususllay give you store credit for them. Mine give me $8 and sells them for $25. Try to do frags with at least a babyfinger sized stalk with 3 branches or so - after removing the toothpick. Also, that jelly you've leave when you cut them will come back too.

Ah the great weed of the corals. Get some xenia close to the back glass of your tank and within a week I bet it will be spreading on your back glass. When you snip it the xenia will slime like the dickins. So be prepaired for it to be slippery. It will also deflate alot but dont worry. In about 15-20 it will come back. Shoot my strain would pulse in the ziploc bag

fishfreek said:
my strain would pulse in the ziploc bag

How many people outside of our little world would understand what that meant?

I bet if you walked up to the average person on the street and said that, they would slap ya.

I want some Xenia frags....no one around me carries them right now.... :(

I've got very healthy blastomussa, leather, acorapora...but I can't keep Xenia healthy no matter what I try! It doesn't make any sense because everyone says it is so easy to keep. Go figure... :wink:

My long brown xenia is much more easily affected by water parameters (high salt, in particular) than my pink pulsing. I don't know if that helps you or not. I had been checking my salinity with a hydrometer and everything looked a-ok until I checked it with a refractometer. 1.026-27! Brought it down and my Xenia came right back.

I've got very healthy blastomussa, leather, acorapora...but I can't keep Xenia healthy no matter what I try! It doesn't make any sense because everyone says it is so easy to keep. Go figure...
That is why xenia is still a mystery coral. Does great in some tanks and not so great in others. I have not had great luck fragging it as it likes to shival up. I take so chunks of LR rubble and place them next to my xenia. I then let them "crawl" onto the rubble and take the whole thing.

Mine was doing great until something in the tank took a liking to it. Luckily its still growing faster than its being eaten. 8O

Back
Top Bottom