Xenia scrubber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been thinking of putting a Xenia scrubber in my refugium. How could I optimize it? Should I use more than one type?

I'm curious so I'm tagging along. I've heard about this working in another forum, just can't remember.

This is interesting. I too would be interested in any info on it. Is it basically the same principal as an algae scrubber? Xenia eat micro organics in the water?

Have you ever seen a Xenia excrete anything? I don't think so, because of that, they are eating sediment and using it to grow, much like algae on a scrubber. This can also work with leathers and gsp. I think the best would be gsp and Xenia just because of their body shape. I will try it and report Back whenever I get all the supplies, but I warn you, that might be a little while.

I heard about this in a garf video. They say there is less die off of xenia when multiple species are present.

My idea would be to have several units of mesh and seed each with a frag of coral. Let them grow and cut off for super easy propagation. I'm sure gsp will climp the Refugium walls too.

I think Gregcoyote has a coral scrubber, not too sure though.

the experiment has begun! i put black mesh over eggcrate and put a small frag of xenia on it. i have it slanted after my chaeto but before the baffles to my overflow. once it encrusts ill start doing video and pic updates. i might be adding some more frags just because it seems like it wont do much considering its like 5 heads.

I have some Xenia in my DT and it is growing great. Good to know I can frag some into the fuge when it is time.

Mine was doing horrible in my dt when I bought a koralia 750 for it. It started to melt so I tossed it in my sump. Three parts grew off and one covered some Chaeto. I put the other two back up in my dt and they're doing great. The chaeto one is the one I'm using for my scrubber. It isn't open yet but I wasn't expecting it to be.

I have read somewhere that Xenia while helps to reduce nitrates, also adds ammonia back into the water.

Not 100% sure.
But do look into it .

I don't know if I believe that xenia will add ammonia into the water column... but this is still an interesting concept. I am highly considering an algae scrubber in my future sump setup.

The only way it would add ammo is if it was rotting somehow.

I would have done an algae scrubber, but this was easier and I had all the supplies. Plus it would slow down m water flow, my mag 5 is already being restricted too much.

Back
Top Bottom