Yay! My BTA split today! Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvilTwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small greenish BTA that I bought about a month ago. I had added it to my preivous tank, a 60g hex, which I replaced two weeks ago with a 75g. It seemed to transition to the new tank well, but for the last week it has not been eating. When I looked today, one side was really deflated, the other normal. It had planted it's foot deep in a hole in a piece of LR. When I picked up the rock to look closer, I found that it had split. My only concern now is that the one is still quite deflated. I assume it should open up again in the next day or so, yes? Should I wait a bit before I attempt to feed either one again? Here's a pic from before it split, about a week ago or so.

img_594857_0_c916cc081f3fa3b1a1c153a898d5dadb.jpg

I would hold off from feeding the smaller one and watch over it closely. If it does not open up within the next day or 2 I would remove it. That is the last thing you want is an anemone breaking down in your tank. Good Luck, keep us updated

As mentioned the other day by Brenden, A BTA splitting is not always a good sign. They split when under stress.. Keep an eye on them to see how they are doing. I might even think about some PWC to make sure water parameters are not the cause of stress.

Well, both have reinflated now and are remaining in the same hole. I suspect that one may have to move if they are healthy and start getting bigger.

They will also split when well fed, which by the looks of it, yours is. My gBTA has split twice now (and I'd like it to stop, thankyouverymuch)! I don't even feed mine as the last thing I want to do is encourage him to split! Your gBTA looks beautiful. Nice bulbs on it. I'm sure the baby will start taking food in a few days, but give it time to recover and start off with smaller particle sizes as they'll be easier to digest.

When I bought it, the guy working at the LFS where I got it said that they feed their anemones well. When I bought it, this gBTA was much smaller than the other two they had, but the others were a bit more bleached. Surprisingly, the guy recommended I buy this smaller one. I would think most stores would get rid of the bad specimens. I like this LFS, but I always ask where the day's SW expert is before I buy something.

Here's a pic I took the day I brought the bta home, after it planted it's foot in the hole it settled into:
img_595312_0_c319139b749fc47f447f2146369721c4.jpg

For now, the two BTAs are staying in that same hole. I suspect (and hope) one will decide to move out at some point

Back
Top Bottom