yellow clown goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neon_hybrid

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday, I added a fish to the tank for the first time since I have owned it. I added a yellow clown goby. I also added 2 emerald crabs as well. Since I added the goby, I have only seen it once. After I added it, I saw one of my yellow tail damsels chasing it around, and they both went behind the rocks, and I have not seen the goby since. I have 1 yellow tang, 2 yellow tail damsels, and a grey color angel fish (not sure the name, but I know it starts with an L). Is it normal for a fish to go into hiding in a new tank, or should I be worried that the fish got eaten?

Hiding is fairly common for most fish for a few days. Gobies are even more skittish IMO. Our yellow watchman can only be seen at night when he thinks no one is watching.

We didn't see ours for 4 months once. We thought for sure it was dead. We even moved our setup from a 90 gallon long to a 90 tall and never saw him. Then a few months later I went to the kitchen at night after the house lights were off but the tank lights were still on and there he was. He had to have been holed up in the rock when we made the move. However, that being said, he could be dead. If he died for any reason, the others and cleanup crew could have eaten the remains. Have you had any unexplained ammonia spikes since you noticed him missing?

When I got my Golden Head Goby I didn't see it for 4 days. It burrowed a hole under my LR. It slowly would come out after the 4th day and take a look then dart back. Now if the lights are on he is sifting the sand or swimming around. It took a little over 2 weeks for the fish to behave normally.

I saw one of my yellow tail damsels chasing it around,
Damsels are pretty agressive and I would not be surprised if the yellow clown goby meet it's end due the damsel. But you neever know, just give it some time. Clown gobies do not move much. They are pearching fish. They will find a spot on the rocks or corals and just sit there. I rarely see mine free swimming. How big is your tank?

55 gallon.... I was told by my LFS that the yellow clown goby secrets a slimy residue on its skin as a defense mechanism. She said she doubts that my fish ate him....

While this fish is thought to have a toxic body slime, it would still not rule out the damsels. They are fin nippers and they may have nipped it so it could not swim. Just a thought.

Good news... I spotted the goby yesterday. She is slowly getting used to the other fish, and having brave moments when she will swim into the middle of the tank, then swim back to her hiding place. Im hoping that she will be part of the tank and accepted soon....

Good news... I spotted the goby yesterday. She is slowly getting used to the other fish, and having brave moments when she will swim into the middle of the tank, then swim back to her hiding place. Im hoping that she will be part of the tank and accepted soon....

Cool. I've had nothing but bad luck with fish so far, so I like reading the sccuess stories. Sound slike a cool little fish.

Back
Top Bottom