Yellow Head Jawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
It has been a while but i will be starting up a new tank soon. I was thinking about adding a yellow head jawfish but i don't think i want to add the 4-6in. sand bed that most people recommend for them to burrow. I've seen several of them before in much less of a sand bed and they seem quite innovative in finding a way to make their homes under rock and in corners despite the shallow bed. So the question is have any of you had experience with these guys in less then 4in. of sand? I don't want to get one if i can't provide them a proper home but the seem to be just as happy to make do with what they have.

I had one with less and it was fine burrowing under rocks. One problem was the rocks werent 100% on the bottom and he did die due a cave in. So ime its possible but with a very secure base rock

I had one with less and it was fine burrowing under rocks. One problem was the rocks werent 100% on the bottom and he did die due a cave in. So ime its possible but with a very secure base rock

My brother had a goby that we suspect died the same way. If i get the fish or not i will be making sure my rocks are on the bottom of the tank.

I'm going to get some of that putty we had for awhile and stick all the rocks right where i want them before the tank even fills up with water.

I'm going to get some of that putty we had for awhile and stick all the rocks right where i want them before the tank even fills up with water.

Yeah i won't take that chance again. I think i will probably end up doing to same with any rocks that are not really stable.

I did make tunnels for mine out of pvc and although he did use them once, they were a big waste of my time being that I literally only saw him it it once. I guess thats a hit or miss kind of thing though. I got the idea off the many people who have successfully had their jawfish adapt to man made tunnels so it does work, just not in my case haha

make sure you have a tight fitting lid, because every one i've kept (the pearly, or blue spotted versions) have jumped.

Back
Top Bottom