Yellow longnose butterfly fish reef & shrimp safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if the long nosed yellow butterfly fish are reef safe and shrimp safe? I've seen a bunch of different profiles saying from yes to with caution. Any help would be great especially from those who have had or have them. Thanks...

Steve

butterfly fish are hit or miss. you might have one that eats your corals and inverts, and then again, you might not have any trouble at all.
i have a copperband in the 150 and he's a model citizen. he's not eaten a single piece of prepared foods though. make sure you witness whatever you buy eat at the store before you buy it.
nothing worse than watching a fish starve to death before your eyes.
i've already spent 40 bucks on copepod cultures, but i have a feeling i've doomed the little fellow anyway.

Doug brings some good points out esp. the eating part. From what I hear they are finnicky eaters and you need to see it eat at the LFS. I also agree that they are hit or miss as far as corals.

Thanks Doug & Mike. I've heard that more with the copper band rather than with the yellow long nose. I guess they're from the same family. The copepods are for the copperband or same for yellow longnose? Hmmm. Not sure what to do or get.

Steve

I would stay away from butterflies. They rarely eat and will die sooner than later.

First copperbanded I got, he refused to eat. Just when I finally got him on frozen mysis, he was sickly and contracted ich and died shortly there after.

I refused to get one that I was going to have to train to eat frozen foods.

I finally got another 2" little guy that was going after frozen mysis in the store. Has been good ever since. He still constantly picks on the rocks, but at feeding time, he is at the top of the tank patiently waiting for food like the rest of the fish.

As far as reef compatability. Both our copperbanded never touched anything. At first we thought the one we have now was picking at the zooanthids, but then realized that he was picking between the polyps for little treats. No damage ever.

Additionally. Butterfly fish are very sociable. When ever I approach the tank, mine comes from the rockwork to the front glass and stares at me. Follows my finger along the glass, and has a very cute personality. A butterfly that hides all of the time, is timid or reserved may be a sign of an unhealthy fish.

Back
Top Bottom