Yellow polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Take a look at my yellow polyp rock. I got it like this pretty much. It kind of looked liked some of the stalks were dead but the polyps that were yellow were so bright and it was cheap so I bought it. I have had it for about 3 weeks.

Lately the polyps don't look as nice but I did just move it to a different location.

My real question is about the dead looking polyps. Should I cut these off and are they indeed dead polyps? Will these hurt the existing polyps in any way if I left them?

I don't see any dead yellow polyps but I do see some epizoantus (green) mixed in with them. The yellow ones will require feeding with a fine minced raw seafoods in order to do well. The other zoanthuds could evntually choke out the yellow ones given enough time if they are not regularly fed.

Cheers
Steve

don't see any dead yellow polyps but I do see some epizoantus (green) mixed in with them

Thats good to know. The yellows will close up at night and go down to a nub but the others kind of stay the same. That is why I thought they were dead :)

The yellow ones will require feeding with a fine minced raw seafoods in order to do well

Will frozen foods do ok? I can take a dropper and target feed them.

Thanks again Steve-S!

Mine eat pretty much anything. I only target feed them about twice a week though. Minced seafood, flakes, frozen food, ect... One thing I've found that they seem to do well with is "HBH Soft and Moist Krill". These are enriched krill pellets and are small enough for them to close up on. Once you start feeding them, they will start to spread to other rocks.

Do you do this for all your corals? I have some star polyps, a baby zoo frag, some shrooms and and new xenia.

I have been alternating formula 1 flake and sinking pellets feedings with frozen marine cusine feedings. I mix the food with tank water and recently have been adding some zoe and then dump in the tank.

Thanks

Many types of corals will benefit from direct feedings although not all. The food needed will also depend on the polyp size of a particular coral. The smaller the polyp the smaller the food needs to be and vise versa.

Personally I find blender mush and cyclop-eeze to be great with coral feedings. I augment both with Zoe and/or Biomarine phytoplankton.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom