Yellow prawn (watchman) goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loynzey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi recently just bout a Yellow prawn (watchman) goby and placed in my tank Thursday. fish looks healthy enough but is just swimming around between mid tank level and surface of water doesn't seem to wanna go deeper much. I thought this fish was a sand dwelling fish that stays near the bottom of the tank how comes mine is different ???

Probably getting used to his surrounding. Tank has been cycled and watertest results OK?

Yeah has cycled as tanks been up sinse November. Test results have been 0 for ages but just recently say last week and half looks like vie been going through a min cycle.

JBL tests:
NO2 = 0.025
NH4 = 0.05

API tests:
PO4 = 0.0

RED SEA MARINE LAB:
PH = 8.0
ALK = normal 1.7-2.8
NO3 = 5.0 ppm
NO2 = 0.05 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = 0.25 ppm

I'm hopefully going to pick up a candy can pistol shrimp next weekend so maybe this will help the goby?

when i got my goby he did that for 2 days, then i "built" a small burrow for him by clearing out some sand from under a rock, within a hour he was in there. try making him a little home. As for the candy cane shrimp, i tried that pairing and it didnt work, later tried a tiger pistol and they were great auntil the pistol mysteriously died. if the candy cane works for you, let us know. imo they look so nice

Cheers dude I'll do that tomorrow and see how it takes it. Seems to be settling in a lil more now and perching down on the sand more often but still has stages where it just swims around near the glass at the surface.

I'll let u know about the candy cane pistol as soon as I get it. The guy I'm buying from is having a hard time locating it in he's own tank and catching so just waiting for him to do so and then I'll collect.

A few pics of him. Has settled in now and no longer swims around untill feeding time.

Attachments

• image-2684787995.jpg
    image-2684787995.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 195
  • image-1048600563.jpg
    image-1048600563.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 200
haha looks great and happy! hard to tell though with that frown they always have lol. god luck, postpics of the shrimp if you get him

So I pick a pistol shrimp up today and put him in my tank and he went straight in my goby's burrow so they seem paired up instantly

Attachments

• image-536161693.jpg
    image-536161693.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 210
Two more pics seem to been doing great they r inseparable

Attachments

• image-3809934431.jpg
    image-3809934431.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 187
  • image-3481748345.jpg
    image-3481748345.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 182
What do you feed your Yellow Watchmen? I've had one for about three weeks and have tried feeding him frozen brine and pellet. He doesn't seem to see the brine and has occasionally been eating the pellets. I'm just assuming he's eating the pellets when I'm not around cause i've only actually watched him eat a few times.

How big is ur watchman? I got one a couple of days ago and he's tiny about an inch maybe little more. And seeing urs with his shrimp buddy makes me want to get him one too.

My watchman is I guess about 3" now has made a little growth. I feed it frozen brine shrimp and sera marine flake food. have to target feed him to make sure he gets some food as he don't like venturing out to far from the burrow. He also grabs mouth fall of sand and sieves through and also seen him eat little creatures which have gotta be either Copepods or aphipods as for the pistol shrimp not a clue wat he eats. Never witnessed him eating anything have tried target feeding him wth some goodies but never seen him take anything. but seems heathy.

It would probably make them less able to be startled, but that is only one of many reason fish jump anyway

Back
Top Bottom