yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got a yellow tang tonight on way home i hid him under a jacket to make it dark he was healthy looking when i got him when i got him home he has a white spot on his stomach and is dark collered around it is this a night time discoleration? or is it a health problem?

the dark area is gone but the white litttle streak is still there i adding water to the bad every five min using a ssyringe about the size of a bottle cap and the lentgth of your had i would tell you the oucnes or size of it but its rubbed off lol the white streak is about a inch long and as wide as pencil

Mine has the same white streak. That is normal for them. Youcan see it on him in this pic.

100_1040.JPG

Yes mike is correct and my yellow tang has that same white streak on it's stomach.

yea its normal it gets it every night and it still has a little in the mornings. i just did a water check everything checks ok nitrite nitrate alkalinity ph about to check my ammonia my calcium levels were low around 280 i added 10ml of kent liquid calcium i will do a water change tommorow its a little past time. i did the day before i got my tang last tuesday well maybe its not past time never mind i will wait lol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that write thing that you are seeing near his tail is his weapon!! It's a boney spike that tangs can tail whip into their attackers or tank cleaners!! It's a very short little spike that protrudes when they curve their body!!

yea we know about the spot near his tail but some tangs get a white spot in thier chest area as a nocturnal look it goes away when lights come on but yes the tail is kinda like a barb it uses as a defense.

My tang has that streak pretty bright in the morning whe the lights come on and it fades after quite a while. About the barb on the tail, I was moving my fish and had to net the tang. I had to use one hand and corral him into the net, and ZAP!! He snapped me with his tail and cut my finger. At first it felt like I stuck my finger with a pin, then the blood started to flow slowly out. I will be more careful next time, 2 nets I think.

i gave up on trying to catch my tang to quarrintine him once lol it was a night mare in and out of rock lol i still need to catch all my damsels to clear some fish from my tank i think i will test out that 2 litter bottle trap idea lol but yea that is a wepon i hope never tp get hit by iy only thing in my tank that attacks me is my lawn mower blenny he charges at my hand

Hi divedeep1689, Some of my first fish after my tank cycled where bowtie damsels and I had the same problem you have. what I did was I got a small fishing pole and a very small hook...I removes the barb. I then stopped feeding for a few days and used cocktail shrimp as bait. With in a few minutes I caught all of the bowties. It was pretty easy...
PS: draw the curtains close in case the Damsel police are around ;)

Back
Top Bottom