Yellow tang and Cleaner shrimp Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed my yellow tang "picking" at my cleaner shrimp today. Is this normal? I just added the Cleaner shrimp yesterday.
The tang is "picking" at the cleaners white tentacles. I fed this morning and had algae on a clip all afternoon.

Thanx

That does sound unusual. I've never had a problem with any of my fish (including a yellow tang) picking on my skunk cleaner shrimp. Fish seem to realize the beneficial nature of a cleaner shrimp and leave them alone. However, Yellow Tangs can be very territorial and the fact that he was in the tank first doesn't help. You might try moving some aquascaping (rocks, etc) around. I've found that the presentation of a "different" environment sometimes settles things down.

My yellow tank and skunk cleaner are really close, my cleaner will actually hitch a ride on him, its really cool to watch. Im sure its just a new addition thing, like indy says he will realize the benefit of the cleaner shrimp and they should be fine.

Agree, give it some time. The shrimp is fast enough to get out of the interaction if it feels the need.

I hope so. Its my 3 y/o daughter that wanted him! I told her how they may go on your hand and arms and she was intrigued. When we went an bought him she picked him out right away. The owner at the LFS wanted to know if she could sweep and mop floors cause she knows her angelfish,featherdusters,tangs,firefish, zoo's and polyps. Damn that makes me proud. :mrgreen:
I am however still working on her calling "Nemo" clownfish. :lol:

Thanks for the advice!

It's not a "clown fish". My son was very specific, They're called "Nemo fish, dad!"

Eeeeesh! Get it right. :lol:

No, no, its Marlin, Coral *and* Nemo....

(Male, Female, subordinant male? hehe)

Oh, and to comment on the cleaner shrimp -- just give it a few days. The tang is probably like, "Wtf are you?" As soon as the cleaner is like, "C'mere you nasty bugger!" the tang will be best friends with him. 8)

Back
Top Bottom