Yellow Tang Diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Yellow Tang in my 90 gal set up and the only thing I have ever seen him eat is the dried sea weed sheets I put in the tank (he sometimes looks to be grazing on the LR but i sure don't see anything there for him to be eating)

Since this dried sea weed is the major (if not only) portion of his diet, will he remain healthy not getting a varied diet?

Do the different types of dried sea weeds (the different colors) have any nutritional differences to them that it would be worth getting a few types and switching them up a bit?

Thanks!

My daughter has a yellow tang that eats the dried nori and some of the chaetomorpha algae she keeps in her main tank. It also eats frozen PE mysis. It's mainstay is the algae but it needs daily protein too for a balanced diet.

My daughter has a yellow tank that eats the dried nori and some of the chaetomorpha algae she keeps in her main tank. It also eats frozen PE mysis. It's mainstay is the algae but it needs daily protein too for a balanced diet.

He will do fine on what he is eating. keep a sheet in there as much as you can. They consume much energy through the day with their constant activity.

Mine loves the Ocean Nutritition garlic pellets (Formula 2, I believe - the green one) also. I guess I got lucky. He eats that, flake, frozen foods, and dried seaweed. But try the garlic pellets sometime and see what happens.

Mine is fond of Seaweed Salad, those little algae wafers from Hikari (which I originally purchased for the inverts), and I just ordered some live macro algae for him. Supposedly they won't leave it alone.

Mine eats frozen brine (I know that it has not much value) and also eats pellets (didn't at first but developed a likeing for it)... he also eats algae from around the tank in short spurts.

Thanks for the info guys.....

Does anyone know if there is any nutritional difference between the different types of dried seaweed?

Back
Top Bottom