Yellow tang red dotts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it is HLLE, then it is an environmental issue, not parasitic. Hypo will do nothing to help. You basically want a stress-free tank with pristine parameters and properly nourished fish. That seems to do the trick. Its not gonna happen for that Tang in that tank though.

Your tang is sick cause he is in a 55 gallon tank an stressed that fish needs 125 gallon + tank your holding him in a small space don't matter what you treat with he will get sick again, do some research on fish so you can give them the environment that they need to survive

A 10 gal QT is used to treat sick fish with considerable size and you are saying a 55 gal is not enough? I treated my 3 inch blue hippo in a 5 gal tank and he is now healthy. Lower salinity can appreciably reduce the stress and let the fish recover and then may be get credit from lfs for smaller fish.

Sorry to be harsh but probably why fish is getting sick
Fish get sick when they are stressed primarily due to unfavorable environment such as unstable water parameter or being harassed by other fish. It lowers their immune system and that is when they are vulnerable to parasites and disease.

Fish get sick when they are stressed primarily due to unfavorable environment such as unstable water parameter or being harassed by other fish. It lowers their immune system and that is when they are vulnerable to parasites and disease.

Yes, but It can also be from being in an environment that is not the correct size or that is not properly "furnished". This is a fish that should be on a six foot tank with much more water volume that is in a tank at least half that and with no rock. Its also not a 55 QT, it is a DT, so somewhat permanent versus a couple month stay over.

Hypo can lower stress, but is usually used to kill parasites that can not survive under those conditions. For HLLE, you want pristine, stable conditions and a stress-free environment. A small tank with no place to hide can not provide that.

HLLE is a condition that typically does not require QT. The fish is not diseased or ridden with parasites. Normally, improving water and environmental conditions and ensuring that it is getting proper nutrition does the job over time. I've never heard of HLLE killing a fish quickly, like Ich or MV can do, but leaving the causal factor in place will continue the deterioration of the fish, due to no improvements.

In this case...give the fish a place to feel safe, even if it means buying some pieces of PVC like you would do in a QT. rock would be best, but maybe expense is a concern? Not sure. Ideally, get it in a proper size aquarium as well. I would add vitamin supplement and maybe throw garlic in as well. couldn't hurt. I'd be willing to bet that would work.

The fish has red dots on the body and could be just a skin infection and at the same time it's got lateral line disease. Both are symptoms of stress. Yes QT needs those hiding places. However, lowering the salinity is just one way of reducing the stress aside from other recommendations you mentioned. If there is no parasite like you believe so why bother for a garlic treatment?

The author has included a lot of speculations of what may cause the lateral line disease but they all come down to exposing the fish to stress which reduces their immune system.

The fish has red dots on the body and could be just a skin infection and at the same time it's got lateral line disease. Both are symptoms of stress. Yes QT needs those hiding places. However, lowering the salinity is just one way of reducing the stress aside from other recommendations you mentioned. If there is no parasite like you believe so why bother for a garlic treatment?

I feel that almost any tank needs hiding places for fish to hide in. Tangs, angels, triggers and a variety of others need that safety in order to not stress. Its partially why you don't just leave QTs barren.

IMO, hypo can reduce stress, but its usually paired with the primary benefit of which is killing off "bad stuff" on the fish. Hypo, if not done properly can kill fish. I would not risk it for HLLE, as the fish still is not in a properly sized environment.

The garlic idea had nothing to do parasites. Garlic does nothing for them. It is supposed to increase a fishes interest in food (which I believe works in some cases) and it supposedly helps boost the immune system (which I believe is more due to the fish eating better than the actual garlic making the system stronger). If his fish is eating okay, it's probably not necessary, but it also could not hurt.

The author has included a lot of speculations of what may cause the lateral line disease but they all come down to exposing the fish to stress which reduces their immune system.

There was a study that showed carbon filtration as a possible culprit. Nothing to do with stress, more with not having something necessary in the water that tangs need. They took away the carbon filtration and the fish got better.

Reduced immunity opens fish up to disease/parasites. My understanding of HlLE is that its a condition caused by stress (not exactly, but kinda like high blood pressure or headaches in humans) and that its not related to the immune system.

I can only guess that the carbon they used may have been contaminated. Using carbon filter does not necessarily introduce some kind of stress to fish but it is on the contrary. It is also possible that individual fish can have different reactions to anything just like humans where some have allergy with something while others do not. Talking about blood pressure we know that stress is a contributing factor. I have a pet dog and she throws up riding a car in just a very short distance. It is also caused by stress or may be just an individual reaction.

He dose have spaces to hide and hair algae on a website I hear that the yellow tang is 55 minimal I wil try to find him a home but I just love him :,(

Attachments

• image-3973832377.jpg
    image-3973832377.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2952642864.jpg
    image-2952642864.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2983863691.jpg
    image-2983863691.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 69
No doubt it's a skin infection. You need to treat him with antibiotics. He is IMO stressed due to your water parameter. Your tank has no LR which makes him not to fell at home. You need to put a 2 1/2 inch PVC coupling in your tank as a hiding place. Please post your last water parameter readings. If you could also include your procedure when doing a partial water change. It seems you do not have a water surface agitation for oxygen and you need to add another power head for circulation. Your water temp probably is not well regulated.

My yellow tang sleeps every night in her same cave. She even hovers around it when she knows it is close to bed time. Not giving them rock caves, is like not giving birds trees, they are just so much happier with them.

I still am going with HLLE. That's typically what it is when you gets spots around the face and up the body. Infections can set in as a secondary concern and are important to take care of. The infection can clear up, but HLLE will not until things are changed to un-stress the fish (unless its a stray current or carbon issue, which is not that likely).

I do not see anything beyond the little gap under the submarine for hiding aces and that is a wide open hole. They need caves in rocks. Your setup really is never going to provide a secure feeling for any fish that needs that. Not trying to be mean, just honest, objective observation.

Yellow Tangs really need six foot tanks. You will see a variety of MINIMUM sizes across different websites, but I've never seen one suggest less than 75g. I have a 75g, but have had much larger tanks over the years. I've had Yellows and would never go less than 120g. Smaller Tangs like Tomini, Koles, etc are okay in a 75g. I like liveaquaria.com recommendations. they tend to ho larger than many other sites, but going larger cant hurt. going smaller can. There are people that will debate that to death, but most problems with fish come when the fish is in a tank that is too small for them. Not just Tangs, any fish.

Yellow Tangs really need six foot tanks. You will see a variety of MINIMUM sizes across different websites, but I've never seen one suggest less than 75g. I have a 75g, but have had much larger tanks over the years. I've had Yellows and would never go less than 120g. Smaller Tangs like Tomini, Koles, etc are okay in a 75g. I like liveaquaria.com recommendations. they tend to ho larger than many other sites, but going larger cant hurt. going smaller can. There are people that will debate that to death, but most problems with fish come when the fish is in a tank that is too small for them. Not just Tangs, any fish.

I am not sure if the people who keep saying these have really tried having these particular fish in smaller than 75 tanks and failed. I have a 60 gal and I have been keeping my 5-inch yellow tang for about a year now and so far she is healthy as can be (knock on wood). My Blue hippo was stressed out in my 60 gal and got sick. After treating him in my 5 gal QT I put him on a 28 gal nano and he likes it better there. I can see his progress and it's been about 3 months now and he is getting better and better. I'm now wondering if I am an exception to the rule. However, I am gonna upgrade my tank when the time comes.

Attachments

• YELLOW TANG 1.jpg
    YELLOW TANG 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 382
  • BLUE REGAL TANG.jpg
    BLUE REGAL TANG.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 380
Back
Top Bottom