Yet another Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fromaphrodite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
There seems to be an enormous amount of controversy over skimmers... which ones are best, do you need them, etc

I cant help solve the problem yet, but Im working on it!

I have a 20 gal tank running with about 10 pounds LR, an AquaClear HOB filter, a powerhead, 4 small fishes, one cleaner shrimp, 3 feather dusters, about 10 hermits, and 8 snails.

I do 5% water changes once a week and top offs every other day.

Everyone is happy and healthy… but the water could be a little clearer.

I bought and installed a skimmer today. It’s a Red Sea Prizm for up to 100 gal tanks.

The skimmer seems to be total overkill for my little system and there don’t appear to be any other options available for smaller systems. Are there others out there with similar system set ups running without the skimmer? What if I buy more LR?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Roq

When it comes to skimming there really can’t be too much overkill in the type of skimmer you use plus if you upgrade down the road you wont have to upgrade your skimmer. Lots of people are very satisfied with the Prizm skimmer and after a few day of breaking in you should see vast improvements. If you use stress coat I would stop using it since it can affect the skimmer. Another 10+lbs of lr would help in keeping your tank healthier\clearer. With such a small tank I’d do 10% changes weekly personally since it’s only 2 gal you have to change out.

Do you use the AquaClear 50 Power Filter? Are you changing out the carbon every 3 weeks? Are you getting good allover tank circulation with your one ph?

4 small fishes are a bit much for a 20 gal sw tank. You may have trouble with your bio load down the road depending on what kind they are.

Thanks for the reply tecwzrd.

I do have the AquaClear 50 and am in the habit of changing the carbon every 3 weeks.

The one ph provides adequate circulation. One or two deadspots form occassionally but that hasnt caused any major problems.

Fish include two clowns, a royal gramma, and a yellowtail blue damsel.

There are so many contradictory reports when it comes to skimmers. Some say you HAVE to have one, others say only get one if you arent changing your water often, or if you have an overcrowded tank. Out of all the sw info, this is the toughest to breakdown and get a concrete answer.

-Roq

fromaphrodite said:
There are so many contradictory reports when it comes to skimmers. Some say you HAVE to have one, others say only get one if you aren’t changing your water often, or if you have an overcrowded tank. Out of all the sw info, this is the toughest to breakdown and get a concrete answer.

Usually most will advise getting one over not having one. Once you see how much junk they get out of the tank and how clear your water can be then you will probably think it was worth the expense. Of course there are lots of reefers who go skimless & have had excellent results as well.

To me it’s also kind of like the UV controversy, in that it isn’t absolutely necessary but can be beneficial in keeping your tank clear & healthy.

Back
Top Bottom