You think i got more room for another fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
So ive had my tank for about 5 months now. Have a snowflake eel, Volitian Lion, Royal Gramma Bassalet, Maroon Clown, 2 Striped damsels, and a coral beauty. I know i am pushing it already, but do you think i can add another small fish? Also somehow i am putting coral in the tank with out any problems.

its up to you but i would be concered of a tank crash in the future due to, to much bioload and not enough lr and bacteria to handle all the waste but just my opinion

A few months down the road, your gonna only have a lion and an eel. :?
Your lion may be small now but they grow fast and a 75 with a volitan and an eel is pretty much at it's load capacity. Keep in mind that lion can get to 15" and you really need to factor in adult size when trying to figure bioload and stocking.

wow...thats not good...hes about 6-7inchs maybe ill try to post a pic...the eels like 8-10 inchs...they both dont really bother anyone? think i can take out the royal gramma and damsels and but then in my 5-1/2 qt ? then Stock up on one more decent size fish? any reccommendations on waht to keep with a lion and eel for a reef tank?

Three fish in a 5.5g tank, especially when damsels are involved isn't gonna work. I'd say, get rid of the clown, damsels, basslet and angel, then you might have room for one more fish because your gonna need one big enough that it's not gonna fit in the volitans mouth when it's full grown. And then again, you'd be pushing the bioload issue.
A lion and eel will work in a reef tank but you won't have the benefit of cleaner inverts. And again, you wouldn't want another fish since in a reef, you really don't want a huge bioload or large waste producing fish and constantly battling nitrates. Corals aren't as tolerant as fish are.

hmmm, i have plenty of inverts in my tank, they are doing a great job-got snails hermits feather duster.....wow get rid of all my fish thats crazy!!! waht bout i just keep waht i have and not do anythign think it would be on in the long run? i keep my lion and eel fed so they dont seem too agressive.

Hermits and snails aren't always on the menu, any ornamental shrimp or crabs is what I meant, and they will get eaten.
I can't tell you what to do with your tank, ultimately it's your decision. Good luck with it.

taking out 2 smaller fish and adding a bigger fish is not helping the bioload. Bigger fish produce larger waste loads. And keeping those fish in a 5 gal tank is no life.. More fish ='s a larger tank. If you want more fish take the Lion back...

haha okok im not gonna touch my tank everything is fine and balanced now im not gonna mess with it

Take Fluffs advice. I have a Volitan Lionfish and a Snowflake Eel and a Starry Puffer in a 55 Gallon tank. It's okay now because their just littles ones but I will definitely be getting a larger tank in about 3 months. Just my excuse for my girlfriend to let me get a 150 :) But we really have a unique situation for the type of fish we have.

This is what I learned from MarineAquariumAdvice.com and I'd like to share this with you:

When setting up a tank, research on the fish first. Determine which one you want, then shop for the fish tank that can fit the fish. Set it up, then buy the fish.

Most of us (I am guilty of that) buy the tank and figure out which we can fit in it (the reverse). It took 3 deaths and 4 LFS donations to reduce my population. Oh what waste of money. Poor dead specimen too on my part.

It is indeed a learning experience for me. Good luck with your 75G. Your specimen seems very colorful.

Back
Top Bottom