You'll never believe what happened!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taz291819

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday, I decided to put my Turbo Twist 3X inline with my Rena Filstar XP3 canister filter. Connected everything and there were no water leaks. Everything seemed fine.

I got in last night at about 1:00am and went into the kitchen to make some coffee. I heard this gurgling sound coming from the living room. WTH is that sound? Needless to say, my tank had about 10 gallons of water in it. The hose going into the intake of the UV sterilyzer had come off, and the canister filter had pumped the majority of water onto my hard wood floor. Thankfully I had a 10x10 foot rug that soaked up most of the water.

Everything was still on, the powerhead, heater, UV sterilyzer, and canister filter pump. I quickly turned everything off. Grabbed the little bit of salt I had, enough for about 7 gallons (stupid me not having enough on hand).

Anyway, this gave me enough for a total of about 17 gallons of water in the tank. I didn't think the fish would survive. I also put the powerhead back into the tank to aerate the water, thankfully it still worked.

At about 6am I got up and put a little bit of 'Prime' in the water to help detoxify any ammonia build-up with that little water in the tank.

Well, it's now 11:30am and my lsf opens in half-an-hour, it's only a 5 minute drive from my house. Is there anything special I should pick up besides salt, and of course tube clamps?

BTW, the only fish that did not make it was my Golden-headed goby, which I just got Friday. My trigger killed him at about 10:00am this morning. :cry:

Thanks for any input/advice on the situation, I still can't believe the other fish have made it this far. They all look fine, though I'm sure they are hungry. I didn't want to feed them, fearing an ammonia spike.

Without 24 hours to mix the water I would have gotten premixed water rather than salt. You need instant water, not more stress. Hopefully your tank is up and running again. Nothing worse than the contents of your tank emptying onto the floor. I know. Melafix did that for me once. Ugh! Luckily for me it was just my sump that emptyied.

Got it filled back up. Fish seem to be doing fine. I'm letting it circulate for an hour or so before testing the water, though the salt level is good.

I wanted to get pre-mixed water, but my lfs only sells them in liter bottles, I would have filled half the bed of my truck up going that route.

The fish were hungry as heck!

Hey, you what you can do in a pinch. Sometimes you just have to wing it. Sorry about the floors....

Sounds like you made out ok..... IMO mixing the water for 24hrs was a minor issue with faced with little water in the tank and possible total fish loss...
I try and keep 20 gal of water mixed at all times in a can with heater and ph... If you have room it may be something to think about.

Hey Phyl where can you buy premixed water at 1:00AM :?: :roll:
I need a LFS around me that stays open that late 8O

Tested the levels a few hours later and everything is perfect. I went ahead and started a 10 gallon rubbermaid 'water change' container like was mentioned above. I'll try to pick up a 20 gallon this week.

The wood floors made it out okay. I'll say this, mopping a floor that quickly at that time of night (morning) will surely sober you up! I couldn't sleep a wink as I was worried about the fish. The goby didn't make it (just got him Friday too), but in the end it could have been a LOT worse. I could have burnt up the sterilyzer, canister filter, heater, etc.....Not to mention all the fish could have died....And my hard wood floors.....

Dodged a bullet.

All for what we love
were all a bit crazy to take part in this hobby
im 16 and my friends thnk im crazy and am never goin to get laid :)
0X
hope everything turns out fine

Back
Top Bottom