Your Favorite Tang Family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acanthurus maculiceps. I absolutely love them. The reason is obvious.
SpottedCheek.jpg

Acanthurus maculiceps. I absolutely love them. The reason is obvious.
SpottedCheek.jpg

Wow, I had never heard of this tang before. It's absolutely gorgeous. Possibly my centerpiece fish when I get a larger tank.
Are they aggressive like Sohal and Clown tangs?

Love clown tangs too...but that's the reason they aren't my favorite- Mean suckers!
I never had any aggression out of the maculiceps I kept.

Love clown tangs too...but that's the reason they aren't my favorite- Mean suckers!
I never had any aggression out of the maculiceps I kept.

Living the dream with mine. Bozo, of course. First fish i ever named. He is a fine fish for a single tang predator tank. A lion fish, moray, maybe a puffer. A tomato clown with a shotgun. You know, fish that can protect themselves.

But as far as a reef tang, it's hard to fault the old hippo tang. Freckles and all.

Last edited:
Living the dream with mine. Bozo, of course. First fish i ever named. He is a fine fish for a single tang predator tank. A lion fish, moray, maybe a puffer. A tomato clown with a shotgun. You know, fish that can protect themselves.
or a gold stripe maroon with its bare knuckles.

I put a picture of it on my wall...but lay $2500 for one fish? I do believe I would sign the papers to send me off to the mental institution in that short bus if I bought a fish that expensive.

the ONLY way i would spend that kind of money on a fish is if i had an ecosystem up and running for 10+ years, had the necessary equipment to ensure its long life. oh and prob a 100k/yr job. yeah that part helps lol

I put a picture of it on my wall...but lay $2500 for one fish? I do believe I would sign the papers to send me off to the mental institution in that short bus if I bought a fish that expensive.
Better than being straight up executed by your significant other that gets mad at you for even buying an $80 SPS frag…LOL:)

I mean technically, if a small variant costs $2500, what would an adult variant be worth? 5k? 7k?

The coloration of some of the Zebrasoma tangs are beautiful. If I had to pick one it would be Desjardini Sailfin. However, the body shapes of many of the Acanthurus tangs make their genus my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom