YT and Lawnmower diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a Lawnmower (sailfin) blenny and Yellow Tang for macro control. I have probably 10 different macros in display and they eat most of them.
However when I feed the tank they just go nuts over the plankton/mysis and anything else I throw in there. I thought these guys are herbavores 8O nowhere have I read they are omnivores, is this the norm. They are both plump and happy.

I have both of these fish and they are both omnivores. FWIW
In fact the tang from what I understand needs a mix of both types of food.

In fact the tang from what I understand needs a mix of both types of food
Thanks.
YT eats more meat than anyother fish in the tank. He has also desimated my Red Grape Macros. Kinda cool to watch animals eat natural food though. kinda like watching a pod break free from the LR and then immediately gulped up by a predator. Watching the whole food chain in action is awesome. :wink:

On the same lines, will a SW fish or invert eat something it shouldn't? I know rainbow trout will gorge themselves of corn when they can't digest it and sometimes will die because of it, they can't digest it and subsequently get a blockage in their digestive tract. It is illegal to chum with corn in california because of that.

Yes. Lionfish will eat Goldfish is a good example. Most fish will go nuts over red Brine Shrimp even though they are devoid of nutrition.

Most fish will go nuts over red Brine Shrimp even though they are devoid of nutrition.
The Lion Fish was the example I was looking for. Just don't want them to eat something harmful. Live Brine is kinda fun once in a while. :wink:

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom