Zach's 20 gal long build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is another option if your hesitant about taking the shrimp out. throw some carbon somewhere. the smell could be your lr curing too. and again the carbon will help with that.

i plan to remove the shrimp tonight but just a few questions
1. Will live rock be enough to cycle a tank?
2. I have the strip test kit, is it good enough.
3. how long should it take to cycle
thanks

zacheyp said:
i plan to remove the shrimp tonight but just a few questions
1. Will live rock be enough to cycle a tank?
2. I have the strip test kit, is it good enough.
3. how long should it take to cycle
thanks

Yes, no, get an API kit for now, and 3-4 weeks (be patient or you will lose every fish you put in).

my opinion not my experience is that the smell is your rock curing. when that goes away you should be cycled.

test strips are not reliable or accurate enough.

should take a month give or take.

Yes, you can. The die off from your LR will feed the cycle. Your pH may go down, your ammonia will spike, followed by your nitrites, then finally those will all be zero and your nitrates will be through the roof. That's a good thing. Do a 50% water change after that, 20% for about two weeks, retest, and if all parameters are good, start with 1 fish. Hope this eases your mind. I know you wanna know, but for the most part, your not going to get a bunch of ppl repeating the same advice. If someone gives good advice and we don't have another opinion, we move on to another thread. I'm glad to see you so eager to learn, but some stuff you gotta look up yourself and sometimes fail to learn. Trust me, if your patient, I have every bit of confidence you will do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
zacheyp said:
The shrimp is out

Now is the waiting game. Pick up the API kit as soon as you can. Post your results so we cam help you along the way.

im the same way kio. i like to hear it several times before it sinks in. remember both of my builds? i think im still asking the same questions months latter just waiting to get it all down.

zack this is why i enjoy this forum so much. this one out of all ive been on is patient with me through all my doubt and my lack of understanding at times.

Again, i cant say thank you enough, i really enjoy this hobby, I will get the test kit the latest monday, PS i walked into the room with the tank and for the first time since adding the shrimp i can breath, LOL

how do u guys feel about a dwarf angel with muchrooms, i know there are 10-12 common dwarf angels, are any less likley to nip than the others

I think a dwarf angel needs more room. All of them nip as they graze, the coral beauty is the safest of them, but gets up to 2-3" long.

Hello, all
i have pretty much decided on a stock list, now please answer, am i pushing it/
2 ocelarris (1 b @ w, 1 orange)
1 yeloow watchman goby
1 royal gramma
1 longnose hawk
1 dwarf angel
cuc and shrimp
mushroom corals

i have 21 pounds of lr

i know there are different opinions about the angel but am i OVERSTOCKING

I've been doing more reading and research and would like to say I was wrong about a dwarf angel being ok in a 20 long.

It's not a matter of gallons per say but the environment a person can create in a space that size. By the time you have your lr in and scaped hiding spots for an angel, the living room is gone.

Will a 4" angel fit. Yes.
Will said fish live as healthy life as "humanely" possible? No

It turns into a goldfish situation. They can live 15+ years in a pond or BIG tank but throw them a fish bowl and you've taken that life potential away.

Sorry for my previous uninformed suggestion.

i understand no worries about the false info, it happens to all, so say i get creative and replace the angel with an appropriate fish
am i overstocking

With the remaining five fish on your list I would say no your not over stocking.

But I would get the second opinions from more more experienced sw fish keepers.

It would have been cool to see an angel in there though. Sometimes you can find good deals on tanks that it could work with on craigslist though. Then make a sump out of this one.

There are so many cool fish I want but have to wait for a bigger tank or pod population before I get them

Can't tell you how many times I've flirted with bad ideas, but in the end I folded to others experience on the subject. Glad I did too because the more I watch my fish the more I want to make sure im doing everything I can right so I can watch them tomorrow too.

nano fish with same body type as tang and angel

look, i have a 20 gal long and have finally woken up to my senses and wont get an angel:):):):):):):):)
however i absolutley ADORE the body type of tangs and angels
any ideas for my 20 longg?

Flat disc shaped fish are usually found in deeper waters. It is a good question, I am trying to think of something that shape that doesn't get big.
All Tangs and angel fish get too big. Wrasses are fine. Most of the gobies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom