Zachs 20 gal long build, addittions and filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,
But now i am back. And in the past weeks things have changed. First off i have new additions. Coraline alage and baby turbo snails! I will post pictures tomorrow but i can't today because i have to study, (i have 2 finals tomorrow.) I have also ordered new filtration. I bought 15 pounds of base rock, this will eventually help filtration. In addition, i am upgrading to an aquaclear 70 filter and making 1 chamber a fuge! What do you think? Now to the big elaphant in the room, stocking. I was very arrogant about stocking but i have changed. I have realized that the best nano tanks have low bioloads and nice corals. My stocking will be 2 designer clowns (what type do you like?) 1 royal gramma. 1 yellow watchman goby and 1 red striped goby. I am thankful for all the advice i recieve on this site and Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by a moderator:
zacheyp said:
Hello all,
but now I am back. And the past weeks things have changed. First off i have new additions. Coraline alage and baby turbo snails! I will post pictures tomorrow but i can't today because i have to study, (i have 2 finals tomorrow.) I have also ordered new filtration. I bought 15 pounds of base rock, this will eventually help filtration. In addition, i am upgrading to an aquaclear 70 filter and making 1 chamber a fuge! What do you think? Now to the big elaphant in the room, stocking. I was very arrogant about stocking but i have changed. I have realized that the best nano tanks have low bioloads and nice corals. My stocking will be 2 designer clowns (what type do you like?) 1 royal gramma. 1 yellow watchman goby and 1 red striped goby. I am thankful for all the advice i recieve on this site and Happy Holidays!!

Is this the zach we know?????? Haha great change to the stock, good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
does that tank look overstocked or does it look good

Good approach - lower bioload, nicer corals. With the right water quality & light, you might even be able to keep sps.

Zach - much improved bio load. Just make sure you add them slowly, one by one, with the least aggressive first, and the most aggressive last.

I think this will be the order
1 goby
WAit a week
The other goby
Wait 2 weeks
The gramma
Wait 2 weeks the clowns

Two weeks isn't bad, but I would base your additions on nutrient levels in the tank. It can take bacteria levels time to stabilize after an addition. If after 2 weeks, nitrates are in a good place, add a fish. If not, wait until they are.

Base the timeframe on what is actually happening in your tank, not a predetermined timeframe.

Also, I doubt you are QTing, so keep a close watch on each addition. Look for signs of stress, disease & parasites. Most people who QT do so for 30 days or so, also keep that in mind before you add your next fish. Your tank is kind f becoming a de facto QT, and you wouldn't want to add a new fish to a potentially compromised environment.

I used a AC70 in my 20 long and to be honest it was too much flow. Plus the intake tube was really close tot he sand I had and caused some filter jams. You could hacksaw part of the intake tube to make it smaller though. :)

And yes, its good to have you back Zach. :)

I can see you've come around as far as stocking a bit, still gonna be a packed tank but if you really really take care of the water you might be ok.

The key is monitoring water & inhabitant conditions. If your water quality is low, or your fish are diseased/stressed/aggressive, stop adding fish & strongly consider reducing stock.

I have a heavily stocked 30 gal BUT I added fish slowly & monitored things. I also run strong filtration with a large skimmer on the sump, 2 reactors (1 biopellet & 1GAC) and change 10% every Sunday. My nitrates are 5 or less consistently, and phosphates undetectable

It's about finding a balance. There is no magic stock list. That's why you add slow & monitor; do you can see when you reach the balance. Then you stop or upgrade.

I like the aquaclear 70, but i guess you could do an aquaclear 50? They are cheap, like 20 bucks

Back
Top Bottom