Ziggy's Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang!

For those who will probably make comments like: "about time", "what took you so long", "I can't believe it's not real butter", and of course "fill it to the rim, with brim", here is what I have to say about all of that; BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, and fliberdijibbit! With that out of the way lets get this party started!

As many of you know I had a 120g reef that spawned from a 72g reef and was lost due to sudden life changes. Life has settled back down and I have the ability to set up a tank again. I can't do the tank I want because of living arrangements (apartment life and large tanks just don't mix well) so I'll be putting together a 24g JBJ nano cube. The only thing that will be stock on this system is the glass box and that is subject to change as well. I have just accepted a position with a LFS in my area and have access to a few other options so I may be upgrading my tank before I get started. More on that later.

Here's where I am to date:

24g tank
Heat sink for LEDs
LEDs
Power supply
rock
sand
pumps
RO/DI system
heaters

Here's what I need:

Stand
refractometer
test kits
plumbing supplies to hook up ro/di
salt
Skimmer
Other crap that I can't think of right now.

The idea behind this initial post is to get things rolling. I'm in the process of laying out the LEDs. I'm in the design phase for the LED housing, still not 100% sure how I want to mount the lights over the tank. I'm leaning towards a free floating box that does not sit on top of the tank. Not sure yet.

More to come...

Nice Ziggy- Nice to see you coming back into the hobby- But it's about itme...LOL... (y)

Thanks!!! I've been itching to get back at it, Jimbo and Pat8you have not helped with the additions of new systems in their lives. The three of us took a trip to Pacific East Aquaculture last weekend while Jimbo was in town. Great trip and some awesome corals, that along with the new job I've been pushed over the edge to get back into SW.

Lol... first thing I was going to say was 'bout time!

Glad to see things coming together. I know you've been talking about it for a bit so you must be super excited! Tagging along!

Lol... first thing I was going to say was 'bout time!

Glad to see things coming together. I know you've been talking about it for a bit so you must be super excited! Tagging along!

Glad to have you tagging along! I will be documenting every step of the process. Lots of pics (famous for that anyway) and lots of mess to read

*gasp* Is this..for real? You're finally getting off your lazy behind?

Yeah yeah yeah...breath into that paper bag!

Thanks!!! I've been itching to get back at it, Jimbo and Pat8you have not helped with the additions of new systems in their lives. The three of us took a trip to Pacific East Aquaculture last weekend while Jimbo was in town. Great trip and some awesome corals, that along with the new job I've been pushed over the edge to get back into SW.

Funny... Jimbo lives in my neck of the woods and still have not meet the guy yet... :)

Since I like to take pictures and post pictures here are some of the tank and the LEDs

030dsh.jpg

026i.jpg

025bn.jpg

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. I will build the top out of MDF and paint it black to match but I want it free floating and hinged so it can flip up and out of my way if I need to work in the tank. I like the idea of it being open to allow for air flow. I dont know yet. I may end up with a little bit larger tank so I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do just yet.

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. I will build the top out of MDF and paint it black to match but I want it free floating and hinged so it can flip up and out of my way if I need to work in the tank. I like the idea of it being open to allow for air flow. I dont know yet. I may end up with a little bit larger tank so I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do just yet.

How big do you think you can go in your place?

How big do you think you can go in your place?

Technically I'm not supposed to have a tank in the apartment at all. No pets allowed. Tell that to the crazy woman upstairs with the yappy little dog that wakes me up in the middle of the night.

I could probably get away with as big as 75g but I'm not looking to go that large here. Perfecto makes a RR nano that is 42g it's cube shaped and pretty cool. I'm looking into getting one of those.

Funny... Jimbo lives in my neck of the woods and still have not meet the guy yet... :)

I've known Jimbo and Pat for a couple of years. Pat lives near me and Jimbo was down visiting. We try and get together when everyone is in town and do something. This time it was Pacific East Aquaculture. They also made a trip to Baltimore to the Aquarium, I passed on that but will be there this Saturday with my kiddo.

I've known Jimbo and Pat for a couple of years. Pat lives near me and Jimbo was down visiting. We try and get together when everyone is in town and do something. This time it was Pacific East Aquaculture. They also made a trip to Baltimore to the Aquarium, I passed on that but will be there this Saturday with my kiddo.

That's cool... It's alway nice to meet up with other reefers and talk about our hobby and life... :).. Can't wait to see more of your build- 42G does sound good...

about time, what took you so long? I can't believe it's not real butter, and of course fill it to the rim, with brim!

Glad to see you finally doing this. Lemme know what I can help with.

Which LFS are you working at?

Thanks Mike!! I recently accepted a position at an LFS and have access to a lot of stuff so my build should be pretty interesting.

Already have plans on the rock and could have it tomorrow but I will be busy. Going to NYC on Sunday for a couple days then the build and work begin.

about time, what took you so long? I can't believe it's not real butter, and of course fill it to the rim, with brim!

Glad to see you finally doing this. Lemme know what I can help with.

Which LFS are you working at?

I'm going to have to make a trip to your place to help you frag that tank of yours and help clean out the garage! PM me on the other info

Back
Top Bottom