Zoa and sun coral question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoNewb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just for this frag last week and has been doing great. It looks like it's trying to split but can someone confirm?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401117674.349103.jpg

Next, I got a sun coral and been having difficulty getting him to open up to feed him. He is only 3 days old but he needs to eat! Lol! I have him in a cave with hi to mod flow. Should I just keep trying and waiting? He wasn't opened at the LFS but was in direct light

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401117863.510612.jpg

Put your suncoral in a bowl or container with tank water in it. In a darkish area add food to the bowl. You can use something small like coral frenzy or cyclopeze to stimulate it and have its polyps come out. Once it opens, add bigger meat to each polyp like mysis or brine shrimp.

Do this every day if you have to until you get a response. Once it's opened up and taken food do this every 2 days to get it used to it.

Then like a week or two in (depending on how it's going) repeat the process but in your tank. I'd use a turkey baster and blast it with cylopeze first.

Before you know it, it will just associate the lights going out with feeding time and come out on its own so you can just start feeding. Its like you're creating a familiar cycle for it. Dark->Smell food->Open->eat. I used to love watching my suns open as soon as the tank lights went out....

also if the skeleton is yellow (like yours) it's alive and fine. When sun starts to die the yellow turns white, that's when you're in trouble.

As far as the zoas go, they don't split, they just grow new polyps at the base. Yours looks fine though, nothin to worry about

?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?
what?!

Wow.. My LFS had them a few months ago and I didn't buy them because they were something like $15 a head, and the smallest frag they had was 3..I like them a lot but not at that price... Either you got a good deal or my lfs is way over priced.. Personally, I believe its the latter.

Either way though, great piece! Glad it opened up for you

Thanks! Ya I thought it was a good price. They are one of my favorite corals but haven't seen them in awhile. So I couldn't pass it up.

Back
Top Bottom