Zoanthid eating worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ora anyone know of tube worms that eat zoas? I just looked at my tank and saw a worm extended from my LR and it looked like it might have been snacking on one of my radioactive dragons eye polyps. It retracted too quickly to be sure. I don't know that I could even do anything about it but I can try if needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Tube worms? Like small feather dusters? No they are harmless.

Well kinda like small tube worms, it was about 1/8" in diameter and about an inch long. It didn't have a crown of any sorts and no visible tube, it went back into the rock completely.

I have one to he looks like he's eat my acro but he's way to fast to catch for a pic soon as light hits him he's gone

mikea213 said:
I have one to he looks like he's eat my acro but he's way to fast to catch for a pic soon as light hits him he's gone

Probably just eating detrius off of the coral

If your noticing your zoas being eaten i'd suspect you got a nudi they blend in well hard to see

54seaweed said:
If your noticing your zoas being eaten i'd suspect you got a nudi they blend in well hard to see

Yes zoa eating nudis are very small and take on the color of whatever zoas their eating so if zoas are disappearing these nudis might be suspect

danbstrong said:
Probably just eating detrius off of the coral

I thought the same thing.

If the zoas are showing signs of harm then you can worry. If they look fine then the worm is probably feeding off the zoas waste or the detritus that sometimes sticks to their coating. That worm could be working to keep your tank clean and the zoas healthy. Don't remove it unless you can see it's a troublemaker.

Back
Top Bottom