Zoanthid Invaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pennybags

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After finally acquiring a coral colony that I have long desired of Radioactive Dragon Eye (RDE) and Whammin' Watermelon (WW) Zoas, I have watched my WW's get devoured by a strange spherical animal, that enters the mouth and seems to consume it from the inside. Is my assessment correct or is it something else? I did a couple FW dips, but soon all WW's were gone. I do have a video of many 'pods scurrying around the zoas, however I believe they were finishing the damage caused by these varmints.

I moved the rock to another section of the tank. All seemed to have calmed down until tonight when I see these on and in the RDE's. No other coral is affected by these mongrels. Any suggestions as to what they are? Should I be concerned about my other corals? I purchased these at a LFS and I will return there to see if the other RDE/WW Zoa colonies he had at the time of purchase, had the same problem. I don't know how forthcoming he will be.

I thought I uploaded a video of the WW's. Obviously it didn't take. I even had three pics of the RDE's. I'll try again. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395721935.649143.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395721964.249343.jpg

The video is quite interesting and, IMO would shed more light of my dilemma. Is there a way I can do that. I am new to AA and I am not sure of all the tricks.

Just upload it to YouTube and then post a link. That would be the easiest way to handle it.

That looks like they are pooping out something. It could be zooxanthellae. I have never heard of a creature that enters the mouth of a soft coral. There's no need to.

I am thinking its only working for you because you're logged in on your pc. That's not a normal YouTube address so you might need to get the direct link. Either that or change who can view it.

I am thinking its only working for you because you're logged in on your pc. That's not a normal YouTube address so you might need to get the direct link. Either that or change who can view it.

Ok I am sorry for the problems. Let's try this. I opened this link with my wife's device and it worked.

Zoanthid Invaders - YouTube

Or

I hope this one works.

TAGS: Zoanthid Invaders, bcpennybags.
If you use "bcpennybags" pardon the Harlem Shake video. I was a rebel there and my kids talked me into it. :brows:

I see the zoas expelling either waste or their zooxanthellae, and amphipods crawling around on them, probably eating this excrement, or dying zoas.

Why would the WW's die and not the RDE's? Do the WW's need different needs than the RDE's? It's puzzling to me. :banghead:

Why would the WW's die and not the RDE's? Do the WW's need different needs than the RDE's? It's puzzling to me. :banghead:

Unfortunately z's/p's can do that. Some times colonies will melt away right next to a colony that's thriving. Very frustrating coral IME but I love them

Back
Top Bottom