Aquarium Center vs JB Tropical Fish vs Petco....FIGHT!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what the various opinions about the saltwater selection at these places are. None of them have guarantees on saltwater livestock.

JB seems to have a very limited selection compared to Aquarium Center. Petco is hit or miss too.

I have had good luck with freshwater livestock at Petco...so so luck from Aquarium Center...not enough to make me not want to buy from them, but enough for me to be super careful.

Anyway...any recommendations for saltwater?

I was wondering what the various opinions about the saltwater selection at these places are. None of them have guarantees on saltwater livestock.

JB seems to have a very limited selection compared to Aquarium Center. Petco is hit or miss too.

I have had good luck with freshwater livestock at Petco...so so luck from Aquarium Center...not enough to make me not want to buy from them, but enough for me to be super careful.

Anyway...any recommendations for saltwater?

I go to Aquarium Center for mostly all my stuff. Mainly bc its right around the corner from my apt. They used to have a great selection of saltwater fish, not lately tho and not so much for the corals(and over priced as well). I sometimes take a trip over the bridge to Levittown PA and visit Hidden Reef. Little bit of a drive but they have a ton of coral and fish for sure.

How are the prices and selection at Hidden Reef? Taking into account the $5 take-it-up-the-rear toll to cross the bridge, plus gas, time, etc...is it really worth it to drive up there?

How are the prices and selection at Hidden Reef? Taking into account the $5 take-it-up-the-rear toll to cross the bridge, plus gas, time, etc...is it really worth it to drive up there?

Prices are OKAY. I take the drive bc I like to see new things. Selection is awesome. They have a ton of stuff. SW and FW wise. Plus they're inventory is gigantic too.

I dont personally keep sw fish but I probably spend atleast a good half an hour or more at the Reef admiring all the sw fish when I visit. The place is huge with a great selection for anything from ponds to sw and beyond. They will also special order fish/equipment if you request it. Fw plant selection is greatly lacking to nonexistent though. I have been to the AC only a few times and found the employees VERY rude and lacking in knowledge about anything related to aquatics. I honestly thought the place and tanks were filthy and smelly with quite a few sick/dead fish. Its no wonder its so darkly lit. If you take a drive to the Reef, also visit the Fish Factory (its only a mile or two down the road). Its a tiny mom and pop type place but has a better selection than most chain stores and they will special order fish as well. Lots of pond supplies/plants in the summer, too. Just my take things anyway! :)

I dont personally keep sw fish but I probably spend atleast a good half an hour or more at the Reef admiring all the sw fish when I visit. The place is huge with a great selection for anything from ponds to sw and beyond. They will also special order fish/equipment if you request it. Fw plant selection is greatly lacking to nonexistent though. I have been to the AC only a few times and found the employees VERY rude and lacking in knowledge about anything related to aquatics. I honestly thought the place and tanks were filthy and smelly with quite a few sick/dead fish. Its no wonder its so darkly lit. If you take a drive to the Reef, also visit the Fish Factory (its only a mile or two down the road). Its a tiny mom and pop type place but has a better selection than most chain stores and they will special order fish as well. Lots of pond supplies/plants in the summer, too. Just my take things anyway! :)

Agree, fish factory is good too. As for AC, they go thru employees like crazy so I wouldn't be surprised if they lack the knowledge. I only talk to 2 ppl from there and they both know what they're talking about. As for their tanks. May have been a bad day, they're usually pretty good with maintenance

Back
Top Bottom