GCAS Meeting May 7, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, gimincorp!

The GCAS meetings are again meeting on the first Wednesday of each month at the Queens Botanical Garden on Main Street and Dahlia Ave in Flushing. Meetings start at 7:30 PM.

To get there by subway, take the 7 train to the last stop - Main Street, Flushing. Walk south on Main Street about 1/2 mile, or take the Q44 bus (ask the driver to stop at and announce the Botanical Garden stop). The Garden is located on the right side and is pretty hard to miss with its tall iron fence. The Main Street gate is closed, but unlocked, so you can enter here. Just be sure to close the gate behind you since the garden is officially closed at this hour. The GCAS meeting is held in the brand new visitor center which is plainly visible from the Main Street gate. Just follow the people dragging coolers full of fish and plants for the auction!

Hope to see you at the next meeting on May 7!

You are confusing me...
First message in this thread says: "GCAS (Greater City Aquarium Society) Meeting May 2nd, 2007 "
In your last message you say: "Hope to see you at the next meeting on May 7!"
So when is the meeting held, 2nd or 7th?!

The May meeting from LAST year was on May 2, 2007.

This year, the first Wednesday in May is on MAy 7, 2008.

I should have split your question and my response into a new thread to avoid the confusion, which I will do now. Sorry about that!

Oh, gimincorp, I got your PM. The GCAS meetings are free to the public. Anyone can participate in the auctions or buy raffle tickets, but you must be a member to receive the club magazine and compete for the door prize. The yearly dues are $20

I'd say that 99% of the club is fresh water. I sometimes see SW chemicals and equipment for sale, but never SW livestock. If you're interested in buying or selling salt water snails, you should also look into the Brooklyn Aquarium Society. I think that they have more salties than GCAS does.

The guest speaker this month is Laura Muha, a FW aquarium author and contributor to Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine. She will be speaking about "Algae wars". I am always interested in learning new and exciting ways to kill algae, so I certainly will be there!!!

Another tip...sometimes security is late in opening the Main St. entrance. If you find it locked, simply use the parking lot entrance on Dahlia St. and ring the bell. Hope to see you there.

Back
Top Bottom