New York City (Five Boroughs) LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. I've been in the fish hobby for about three months. I was wondering if there are any recommended LFS or LPS in the city. (Not just Manhattan).

So far I am liking Win Tropical Aquarium on Mott Street. And that's about it, I do not think a city with more than 8 million people should only have one decent LFS.

Many recommends Pacific but I had some bad experiences with Pacific Aquarium on Delancey as they constantly tried to scam me. (Told me that I should get at least 3 bn pleco for my 36g bow, and a few more not worth mentioning)

Hey there.

Im in Brooklyn too. There is manhanttan aquariums at 522 West 37th Street New York, NY 10018, which is cool and new, but a little on the more expensive side. In Brooklyn there are a bunch out on Flatbush near kingshighway, all are a little funky but some are better than others. You should also check out manhattanreefs.com for lots of local stuff.

8th ave and 54 street I think maybee 53 street best lfs I have ever seen they are Chinese but speak English !!! The corals are insane great equipment and fish galore !!! Fresh and salt !!! Tanks well maintained !!!

Sorry that's Brooklyn I live in staten island and it's worth the trip !!! If u go let me know what u think my jaw dropped when I found it lol

Djangom. Is that new world aquarium you are talking about? I thought I was closed so I never bothered checking it out.

I actually been to the one on 53rd and 8th avenue. It was surprising to find a LFS in mini chinatown. The fish collection was nice, but the staffs kind of ignored me and were pretty rude. I am Chinese myself so I'm not sure what their dealio is.

I'll check out name this week it's not the old one that was there I buy alot from the one on 8th and 43 and 65 and 7ave but the one I just found is great picked up a nice powder blue tang for $20

Smithcinema said:
I'll check out name this week it's not the old one that was there I buy alot from the one on 8th and 43 and 65 and 7ave but the one I just found is great picked up a nice powder blue tang for $20

Is the one at 65 and 7ave in Brooklyn as well? There is one on 65 and 8th avenue that is interesting but a bit pricey.

Sorry 65 and 8th but it's garbage compared to the new one !!!

New world is closed. This one is diff and new and worth a visit. The tank at the entrance way is worth the trip alone. Free parking on the weekend.

What????? I love Pacific! I used to go there just to look around and talk to the guys who work there. They're very nice and friendly, plus they're actually super knowledgeable, and are happy to talk to you indefinitely unlike other stores where they either ignore you and brush you off, or they repeatedly ask you if you need help and pester you to either buy something or leave. I understand some places don't like window shoppers, but when I'm thinking of something to get for an aquarium, going to a LFS just to look around gives me ideas, and I will bring them business even if it's not that time.

But not only that, the guys there always give me discounts, and they may or may not have charged me tax hehe. I guess overall they might not be the best store in the city, but I think the place is great nonetheless. I moved out of the city and am up in Rockland County now and was actually thinking of driving in tomorrow and was thinking of swinging by Pacific just to talk and storm up some ideas for my tanks and maybe grab something to come home with :)

I'm not saying they're perfect, in fact I had an experience where they neglected to tell me something that ended with three dead CRS, but even after that I still love the place.

But seeing as this is an old thread, any new places around NYC? Any conventions or club things going on?

Back
Top Bottom