Animal Jungle Virginia Beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to this LFS today to get a few.supplies.and tried to..talk the worker to let me buy some used substrate. Of course he gave me a baffled look. I told him that I.was doing a fishless cycle. He said he never heard of it. Ammonia.from a bottle??? Confused he tried to sell me.starter fish. I just grabbed an airstone and filter media and left....beware this particular worker he isn't well trained. Neither am I but I did my homework. Peace

Good for you. They want to make a sale. I`m in Richmond but I am proud of you.

I am glad I ran across this site. Thanks very much. Stay in touch

I had 2 incidents in Richmond recently that I thought should be shared. I went to one local fish store looking to purchase some angelfish. Found 2 that I liked and asked about purchasing them. I was told that I couldn't because the tank was being treated for ich. I couldn't even see it when the manager tried to point it out. The other incident occurred at my local Petsmart. Someone was trying to buy 25 goldfish that they wanted to give away as presents at a kid's birthday party. The sales associated refused to sell them the fish.

Sometimes we harp on how much goes wrong at LFS's that I thought I should share some positive experiences.

Animal Jungle is a great store. I believe they are, and will go back. I will do my own reaearch and appreciate your comments. That is good to hear. Thanks Oneal

Went back. Waited 20minutes for service. Inadequate staffed. I left with a small tub of java moss. I wish I could get some satisfactory help in this store. They have an incredible selection of fish. But I guess I will try one more time and then I will be forced to use Petco or PetSmart or order sight unseen online. I hate horrible customer service and I am not demanding. Just wish folks took pride in their work. I never did get waited on. The java moss was already packaged.

Animal Jungle is great for their selection but their staff in not well trained, well I take that back, there are a few guys that know their stuff, but most don't. There's this one new girl that's dumb as a brick. I asked her something just to see what she knew and she was so off from the truth it wasn't even funny.

But other then that it's a great place for selection. That's funny because I told a guy there I was doing a fishless cycle and they were extremely confused and even told me I was wrong! Animal Jungle is the place I go to find something I've researched. I go in, get it, and usually don't talk to the employees, and head out, lol

It's good to know I'm not the only person that's walked into there talking about a fishless cycle. When I first started and knew nothing they sold me a clownfish as a cycle fish. Ugh.

Absolutely right. I must have ran into both of those kids. Just have to do your own homework is all.

Apparently the workers I referred to earlier, no longer work there. I have received outstanding service lately and they are running lots of specials. I am glad for the fish!

Last edited:
The quality of their fish is going south. Watched 2 die the other day.

And Promptly left again, That place has so much potential, but is lacking on management.

I haven't found any other LFS in the Hampton Roads area that even comes close to rivaling Animal Jungle's selection, quality and customer service. I have only really had one negative experience there, when a young female employee gave me a blank look when I asked her to get me some pennywort out of one of their tanks. Other than that, they seemed to be generally pretty knowledgable and the store had some great finds recently, some reticulated hillstream loaches. Of course the loaches were labelled wrong...

Vnessa123456 said:
I haven't found any other LFS in the Hampton Roads area that even comes close to rivaling Animal Jungle's selection, quality and customer service. I have only really had one negative experience there, when a young female employee gave me a blank look when I asked her to get me some pennywort out of one of their tanks. Other than that, they seemed to be generally pretty knowledgable and the store had some great finds recently, some reticulated hillstream loaches. Of course the loaches were labelled wrong...
Yea they do have the best selection. Their customer service is improving, so their overall average with me is ok. I think they are training the staff better lately.

I use animal jungle all the time. Most of the workers seem to just know enough to get by. The older guy in the sw section with the gray pony tail seems to be the go to guy when I tend to ask the harder questions they always ask him. I have had decent luck with their fish. Their discus are overpriced As well as most fish there but there really is nowhere close with their selection. Service is a big issue. Sometimes I just dont want to have to go there because it so bad. The best thing is wet Wednesday's all fish livestock is 25 percent off between 5 and 8 pm

I travel on business a lot and this is a favrite of mine to stop in. I did so last night and I have to say that I was disappointed in the appearance of their saltwater tanks. They had a lot of hair algae growing and seem to have suffered a major aiptasia outbreak as well. On the other hand, their saltwater fish generally looked healthy.

I have never found a better brick and mortar store for freshwater anywhere when it comes to variety or oddball species. I wish we had something of this caliber in Richmond.

I was disgusted the other day. I showed up asking for assassin snails to control my pest snail problem in my tiny 5g tank.

The FISH DEPARTMENT MANAGER (I think his name was Edward or Edgar) suggested that I buy a clown loach for my 5g. When I asked him if the loach would grow too big, he replied, "No, they grow to fit the size of your tank."

Uh...what?? I decided not to correct him, that the fish would just become stunted, unhealthy, and die. I can't believe a MANAGER would give this horrible advice.

Vnessa123456 said:
I was disgusted the other day. I showed up asking for assassin snails to control my pest snail problem in my tiny 5g tank.

The FISH DEPARTMENT MANAGER (I think his name was Edward or Edgar) suggested that I buy a clown loach for my 5g. When I asked him if the loach would grow too big, he replied, "No, they grow to fit the size of your tank."

Uh...what?? I decided not to correct him, that the fish would just become stunted, unhealthy, and die. I can't believe a MANAGER would give this horrible advice.

That's a shame. A real shame. They seem not to care anymore about their fish than a can of catfood. You are better than me, I probally would have gave him both barrels

I know exactly what guy you are talking about. He is the worst. He gave me a little attitude because I asked him to test his salt ro water and then he didn't even do it right

Hondatek said:
I know exactly what guy you are talking about. He is the worst. He gave me a little attitude because I asked him to test his salt ro water and then he didn't even do it right

Hey Hondatek, you are in Hampton Roads also....Awesome. So you're a salt water tank person?

Wayne

Any of ya`ll in the Richmond area and do SW we have two great stores here in Chesterfield County. Fishworld and Richmond Aquarium. Richmond aquarium does FW also.

Back
Top Bottom