Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'll start off. My name is Cindy, most of you already know me but I'm a stay at home mom of two. I've been keeping fish for as long as I can remember. When I was very young (7ish), I can remember my father breeding angelfish and I've been hooked ever since. After leaving home, I always had at least one fish tank, usually more. lol I currently have 14 tanks up and running and four small preform ponds. Five tanks are SW and nine are fresh. Enough about me. Lets hear about you!

Thanks for the invite Cindy ;)

I'm Mike, I work in Frederick and live in Hagerstown with my lovely wife Rebecca and our cat Sophie. I'm also attending school in Hagerstown, majoring in biology. I'll be getting my A.S. in two semesters and figuring out what 4-year school I want to go to. I've been keeping fish seriously for about 3 years now, but I've always had a tank as long as I can remember. I currently have two tanks, a 30-gallon planted (or algae tank right now :roll:) and a 10-gallon with a rift lake setup and a single yellow lab. I plan on someday having a sw setup, but I need a house first!

HI My name is Michelle... I work in Olney and live in Rockville with my husband, 1 cat, and 7 Wet Pets.
I had fish often as a kid - nothing major - 10 gallon tanks with goldfish won at the county fair and so forth, a neon tetra and algae eater here and there. My husband was an aquarium junkie before I met him- unfortunately he had to let it all go when life led him down paths where fishes and 55 gallon planted tanks couldn't go. :(
But then he met me! :lol: And often spoke of how much he missed it and his stories and passion for it really got me re-interested in it as well. So, this past Christmas, I decided all I wanted was a fish tank. And thats what I got - a 26 gallon glass bow front aquarium.
Its been a rough start - I had to get through the cycle, an ich epidemic which killed almost everything, and lately a mother of an ammonia spike that had me freaked out. But the tank has been up and running 2 months now, I have 7 healthy happy fish to show for it. And I can't wait to UPGRADE next Christmas.... I'm thinking 90 gallon?? :twisted: LOL

I see this group hasn't talked in a while but thought I'd add my name to the membership list anyway. Good to meet you all!

In an effort to keep this very quiet regional forum alive I have decided to throw my hat into the ring. :wink:

My name is Bryan and I work in Frederick and live in Point of Rocks MD. I have many animals, including two dogs (A min pin - Kujo and a Papillon - Keebler), two cats (Tatum and Asher), a five foot Iguana (Romulus), and since the past four months my 20 gallon long.

My wife and I had an aquarium while we were still dating, the left over 29 gallon tank from rasing my Iggy. It worked out for a while, until we bought some fish that ended up nipping the fins of all the fish in the tank, then getting ich and dying. (Back then we knew nothing about having a fish tank, and never did water changes, even when cycling, we even threw some live plants in, which grew wildly, and then brought algae into bloom, and also snails)

This time around, I did my research. I made sure I had the right equipment, and actually found this forum and it helped tremendously throughout the many of questions I had. I have since been obsessed with this hobby (It's in my nature to obsess over the newest things in my life). I have gone from a few fish with plastic plants, to a good number of fish with live plants that are doing quite well. I am actually on my way to having baby platys, which I am getting excited about.

I have even spent a lot of effort to create an in-the-wall tank to make my wet friends a part of my family room. Take a look at my galley to see my craftsmenship.

Hi Michelle!

Nice work Bryan! (y)

Yeah, this forum is pretty quiet. We don't have many members but it's getting there. ;)

Hi folks!

Add another member to the roster! I'm Ernest and I've been lurking on AA for about a year now. I'm in the Clarksburg/Damascus area and I've actually met/"conversed" with some of you folks previously.

I've been keeping Endlers, Cories, Otos, Yoyos, and a couple of other species for about a year now and am still learning something new/interesting about this hobby everyday. Of course my favorite resource of information has always been AA! I would have joined this forum sooner had I known about its existence, but I must have somehow missed it when I first joined AA.

Now that Spring is here again and my wife is on my case to use or lose the many tanks I've been buying off Craig's List, I'm seriously looking into doing a high-tech planted tank and a no-tech planted tank, and I'm hoping to exchange tips/ideas/plant clippings with some of the local/regional folks who have gone through the same experiences starting out.

Just as an idea to get this forum going, how about a sticky on local/regional LFSs/events/deals/pricing information? Eg, I've been looking in Rockville, Gaithersburg and Germantown for a CO2 tank and have been making a number of calls to enquire about pricing. I'd be glad to post info I've found to save folks a round of calls, unless you guys already know where the best deals are to be had and I'm the only one out of the loop! I'm also headed to ThatFishPlace tomorrow for their annual sale ( http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/anniversarysale06.aspx ), a local discus farm ( http://www.discushatchery.com/index.html ) and might be attending the upcoming PVAS auction in April. ( http://pvas.com/auctions/auctions.htm ) It'll be nice to know if some of you folks are going to be there too!

I also frequent the local PetCo/PetSmarts plus Congressional Aquarium in Rockville, Tropical Fish World in Gaithersburg and Fish Factory in Gaithersburg and think it might be a useful resource to post all known local LFSs with addresses and maybe even reviews for other locals new to the hobby trying to find a good place.

I hope to hear from and maybe even meet some of you folks in the days ahead!

Wow, thanks for posting bzbee! With the little bit of traffic we have here, I don't know if a sticky is necessary just yet but please feel free to post your findings! I've recently set up my first planted tank. It's only a 10g and I'm using one of those small nutrafin co2 systems. So far I'm very happy with the results I've gotten. Incredable growth in such a short time.
If we don't have one already (didn't look) I will start a sticky on local fish stores. I think that's a great idea. I'm very partial to one store as you'll find out shortly. :)
Anyway, welcome! And as of right now, unless something happens in the next three weeks, I'll be at the PVAS auction as well. :)

Hi everyone, my name is Amanda and I am not from western maryland but I am from maryland, southern to be exact. I live in Waldorf and I work in Clinton. My boyfriend and I live with my parents for now until we can afford not to. His name is Aaron and I met him when I was 15 and have now been with him for almost eight years. Which makes me 22 going on 23 to save you the math. He races motocross and works for my Dad selling cars (in case your ever in the market). I am a, hopefully, soon to be nursing student. I have taken all of my prerequisites and am currently sitting on a waiting list hoping a spot will open up. While I am waiting I am working for my Mom at an electric company in clinton. I work in the Life Safety division and I guess it's not bad but I would prefer a job where I didn't sit in front of a computer all day.

Let's see.....I currently have a 75 gallon SW aquarium. I am taking it slow trying to learn as much as I can as I go. I currently only have a yellow tang, clarkii clown, an urchin, some hermits, some snails, and a few other hitchhikers. I recently purchased my first zoos and shrooms and I plan to get another fish in the next few weeks. I just can't figure out what I want. That's one of the reasons I love this forum. I know there are plenty of people to help me make decisions and help educate me so that I can have a successful tank. Not to mention how friendly and welcoming everyone is. Well, I guess that's about all there is for now. Till next time.....

BeGiNeR_7
Your not far from my favorite fish stores.:D There are a few other AA'ers in your area as well. We'll have to do another get together soon. :D

That would be so much fun!!!!! I know austinsdad lives right by roozens and I work about an exit away from it. He is actually the one who gave me the directions to it.

Back
Top Bottom