help with algae identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgillmatthew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have attached pictures of the algae I am trying to deal with.
It only seems to attach/grow on the glass, fake plants, and my two fake rock structures. Based on preliminary research I believe I may be dealing with Blue Green Algae. It appears green with some brown on the top of the plants. It comes off the glass in huge sheets with the mag float. It also smells horrible while doing water changes. having said I have noticed my Dwarf Gourami occasionally nibbling at the algae which according to everything I have read fish won't eat Blue Green algae. however the way it seems to be present in my tank and the smell lead me to believe that is what it is. Something else to note is that when I clear the glass with the mag float the water is clear. it is only the glass, plants, and decor.
Any advise for how to take care of the algae would be greatly appriciated

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpg
    IMG_2942.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 42
Update

I finally identified it as Blue Green Algae (BGA) a.k.a cyanobacteria. I purchased API® E.M. ERYTHROMYCIN and wrapped the tank in black garbage bags unplugged the light and treated as per the instructions on the box. I did this for 2 weeks feeding my fish every morning. I preformed my weekly water changes. I then preformed a thorough scrubbing and purging of my decor. To manually remove as much BGA as possible. The tank is now fully recovered and I have since added cardinal tetras and got a new 10 gallon for my dwarf gourami who was bulling the tertas. I also got hornwart to try a planted tank and absorb excess nutriant to avoid dealing with BGA.

Attachments

• IMG_3199 (2).jpg
    IMG_3199 (2).jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3197(1) (2).jpg
    IMG_3197(1) (2).jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I finally identified it as Blue Green Algae (BGA) a.k.a cyanobacteria. I purchased API[emoji768] E.M. ERYTHROMYCIN and wrapped the tank in black garbage bags unplugged the light and treated as per the instructions on the box. I did this for 2 weeks feeding my fish every morning. I preformed my weekly water changes. I then preformed a thorough scrubbing and purging of my decor. To manually remove as much BGA as possible. The tank is now fully recovered and I have since added cardinal tetras and got a new 10 gallon for my dwarf gourami who was bulling the tertas. I also got hornwart to try a planted tank and absorb excess nutriant to avoid dealing with BGA.

Nice. Looks great.

Back
Top Bottom