Marchmaxima's trip to Baltimore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marchmaxima

Aquarium Advice Addict
Geez, is it the middle of January already?

Back when I mentioned that I was heading to Baltimore to attend a wedding, I was encouraged to post here. Now, I think I was asked to post here so you all know when to avoid the area and stay inside, but I'm being told that's not true.

Anyway, if a meet is to be planned, this is the post for it. My plans:

I fly Melbourne -> Baltimore on Friday 1st May.
I arrive at LAX before I left Melbourne (aren't international date lines fun?), I'll be in Baltimore on the 2nd May.
The wedding is on Saturday 9th May.
I don't know that we'll stay in Baltimore beyond Sunday/Monday, but I do anticipate I'll have to do the family thing from Saturday 9th until I leave.

That leaves 6 days (3th - 8th) that is as yet totally unplanned. Hubby knows I really want to visit the Baltimore Aquarium and he has no inclination to come with me. So what I might suggest is that AA members in the are who want to join me at the aquarium (maybe lunch before for those who can't/don't want to go in?) is most welcome to do so. :D

Definately hit the aquarium, you won't regret it. There's tons of stuff to do in DC as well, just depends what you're in to. Weather should be awesome in May, so that should work out well.

I have no idea what I'm doing in May, so ask me again in April. lol

Off topic, our contract with Optus/Singtel is nearly complete, our our aussie residents here are throwing a big going away party for themselves next weekend. They head back to Sydney end of the month.

I suggest that you contact Discus Hans (at Simply Discus) and plan a vist to his hatchery in Baltimore. I know you said you were thinking about discus eventually and love that place I'm sure. I've never been there myself but I have seen some pics and he has tons of tanks filled with high quality Stendker discus. Maybe you'll even see something you liek and have it shipped back home :)

I suggest that you contact Discus Hans (at Simply Discus) and plan a vist to his hatchery in Baltimore.

Awesome idea. Thanks for the tip!

Off topic, our contract with Optus/Singtel is nearly complete, our our aussie residents here are throwing a big going away party for themselves next weekend.

And I would expect nothing less. A tip: If you attempt to supply Fosters, expect to have your head flushed in the toilet. ;)

nah, I know better. He's making some australian pie's for dinner - not sure what' that's all about.

But, not trying to hijack your thread, so I'll stop now.

I'm with Neilan, no way I know what's going on in May, so ask again in April, haha. It may be hard because the 3rd - 8th is during the week, ya know? Atleast for me

I'm always interested in heading to the aquarium though, and like Neilan said, DC is only a short drive from Baltimore and there is tons of stuff to see there. There is an aquarium in DC too, so it's pretty must justified, lol. It's nowhere near as nice as the baltimore aquarium however, and it's in the basement of the Department of Commerce building, but it's got fishes.

27 days to go! But whose counting?!

I'm penciling in the Baltimore aquarium for Sunday 3rd May at this stage. Dunno if I'll have much other free time that week. I'm heading to Pittsburgh on the 4th and coming back on the 5th. Hubby's parents arrive on the 6th and the wedding is on the 9th. I have a feeling that from the time I get back from Pittsburgh, the rest of my time will be taken up by running interference between my in-laws and the other half ;)

Am not booking tix yet.... when my plans are confirmed, I will advise

I would suggest not going on a weekend, there will be huge crowds.

90 miles north is Philadelphia. Liberty Bell, Phillies, Betsy Ross, Ben Franklin.. and just over the bridge into Jersey is the Adventure Aquarium in Camden NJ not to mention the Philadelphia Zoo.

It's an easy trip up I95

Adventure Aquarium | Camden, New Jersey, Philadelphia
Philadelphia Zoo - Home

BTW: I thought the B-aquarium changed the process to where you can buy tickets in advance for a specific time/day so you don't have to wait in line. You just show up at the prescribed time and in ya go

I thought the B-aquarium changed the process to where you can buy tickets in advance for a specific time/day so you don't have to wait in line. You just show up at the prescribed time and in ya go

That's what it says on their website. Crowds don't bother me. Just happy to get to go. It looks awesome!

Crowds don't bother me either...unless you can't get to actually see what is in the tanks.
On a side note, they did open an Australian section, might make you feel more at home!

Yeah the prob with the Baltimore Aquarium is that you have to wade through crowds 5-6 people thick sometimes to see whats actually in the aquarium, but it's well worth the trip if you have plenty of time to spend there. The sea turtle and ray pool in the beginning is the best part, and if you are there at a certain time (check out the displays around the aquarium) you can watch them do the feeding. Big sea turtles munching on huge heads of lettuce = awesome! The Dolphin show is pretty cool too, but it's just like your run of the mill dolphin show... if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.

And Scott's right, they have the Australia section open, complete with unbelievable heat and humidity too, so you'll feel right at home. haha

Back
Top Bottom