New to the group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Just saying hey. I'm sure you've all seen my cycle thread, so that's me.

I live in Ashburn, VA, and we don't really have a No. VA group. You guys are pretty close so I thought I'd jump in here and join you guys. Lots of the guys I work with live in WV, so that counts, right?

Thank you!

No I havent, as I was perusing this forum the other day I just learned of it; you're talking about Scales, right?. It's about an hour from me, and I don't think I have any plans on Saturday, so if it's worth the trip I may run out there this weekend. That thread I read people stated they were going, but I never heard a report on it. It would have to be worth it, since the beltway is between me and it, and that just takes the fun out of everything. :lol:

Welcome neilanh!
Ugh, I hate the beltway but, I have to go that way to get to any good lfs. :)
If you make it to Scales, please post your opinion on it. (that way I know if it's worth the 1.5hr trip. lol ;) )

That was Cindy and I talking about going. But it's about an hour and a half for her and about an hour for me, and well...the DC beltway just makes the trip almost not worhwhile. I was hoping we could just hop over there off of I-270, but... I doubt it.

Anyways, if you do go, please post a review!

Welcome! Have you been to the LFS in Ashburn? Over by Boradlands (I think). There also used to be a pretty big one in Alexandria. If you plan on coming out to WV on Sat, let me know and I'll meet up with you (PM me if interested). They are closed on Sundays.
I agree, if you go to Scales, please post a review.

Yeah, the LFS in ashburn, Fins and Feathers, is the one making me mad. Which is too bad cuz they're only a few minutes away from where I live. While I'm not really impressed with their tanks or selection, they are very knowledgable people and claim to be able to get anything you need. They also have what I consider to be a pretty decent load of SW corals, anemones, and a whole tank of frags right on hand, as well as several beautiful SW fish. They let me in the back room where they actually QT new arrivals before putting them out front. But it's a fairly small shop. I'd say 15 or less FW tanks, and only about 6 or 8 SW tanks, and their dry goods are extremely high on prices.

I'll talk to the wife and see what this Saturday holds. I'll probably try to do Scales this weekend if it's possible since noone has been and see what it's all about.

I agree with you, it is very small. Everytime I go there, they are closed, it seems (I have gone at different times). I believe, he is also setting up "vet" station for fish. His prices are very high for dry goods, last time I checked the Saltwater Masters Kit was $30 and the same refractometer I got from drsfosterandsmith.com, for $42, he was selling "on sale" for $99.99. He actully just set up that new coral frag tank.

You told me that, but I haven't had a problem. They've always been open when I go, typically on Saturday late afternoons. I don't know about the vet thing.

There's a woman that owns it, and her son is the manager. He's very knowledgable, he just isn't any good at customer service, IMO.

I got my kitchen pass to go to Scales on Saturday, we'll see what that holds.

Back
Top Bottom