LFS in Daytona to Deltona: Central FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been struggling to find a reputable store somewhat locally. Big box stores are just not doing it for me.

I've been to "pets 4 less" in deland and wasnt impressed. Great LR but the fish and employees..eck

I get all my cichlids from daytona aquarium and have no problems getting them.

it's the sw stores that I need. The only local one, pets 4 less keeps pushing me to put damsels in my tank and they lose big points for just that.

Thanks fellow floridians. I know theres some somewhere. lol

Not sure what part of Deltona you are from, and not sure how far you are willing to travel, but... Fishy Business. It is in Longwood on Ronald Reagan Blvd. They have some really nice stock and I always get very healthy fish there. Hope this helps :)

I just went to a lfs around the corner from fishy business and let me tell you it's cheap and nice!!! Its' called oceans direct and its literally around the corner from fishy. I got some real nice size corals for the price of small frags. The fish look really good too and clean store. They have like everything in there.

Thought I'd share since I know alot of people pass that store by on the way to Fishy. LOL

Thanks for letting us know that. I have always wanted to stop there, but usually had livestock from fishy that I needed to get home.

Exactly. I got 2 corals from fishy and was like I;m stopping anyway. Glad I did. He has awesome stuff. Blows away fishy on corals no doubt. Kinda wished I woulda stopped there first today LOL

I haven't lived in Daytona in 22 years. Ughh I'm old. But there used to be a place near Mainland high school. It looked like the building was going to fall down, but they had the best fish for sale I'd ever found in the area. They had concrete tubs in their "back yard" for breeding.

Anyone know if that place is still around? Just curious.

That would be garys cichlids I think. Busted up old building on 92? or other wise known as daytona aquariums.

Your not missing much.LOL I just moved here from NY area and let me tell ya things are alot different down here than they used to be.

I still buy all my cichlids from garys, and he still has the cement breeding pens out back, I get some great fish outta those things. :)

Not to hijack the thread, but I do miss it out there.

I was raised in the Daytona/Ormond area. Went to junior high at Ormond Beach JR High (I think they've changed the name now)senior high at Seabreeze. Back in the day, there was a Krystal burger place just near the Boardwalk. They call them White Castles out here. So depressing. *laughs*

Thing I miss the most was walking the beach on a full moon night.

I've been down here for FIVE years and have yet to step foot on the beach. LOL In fact I lived right on the beach in a hotel for a few months when I was waiting for my apt to be ready and still never went on the sand. I did however love the ocean breeze and the view. My apt was only 1/2 mile from the ocean too. Now I live an hour away.

And your not hijacking, its nice to chat sometimes :-D

Our first house was right on the beach. Our second was on the second block of Morningside Dr. I had to walk a whole 8 minutes to get to A1A. Yeah, spoiled right? *Laughs.* Our last house was on Ponce De Leon Circle, right across A1A from the Georgian Inn hotel.

I miss the beach so much that I have white sand in two tanks!

Last I remember, they were just adding the toll gates to the beach access roads so people have to pay to drive onto the beach. I can remember packing up the car for a day at the beach with my family. Just drive down and park. No paying.

sorry to bump an older thread but i'm from the beachside ormond/daytona area also. to chime in on the beach tolls, a couple years ago i bought the year pass and it was 25 bucks! just moved across the street fom the beach so i no longer need to park. just take 10 steps and im there :p

I just started a cichlid tank and found Daytona Aquariums website last night. the look like they have a nice selection judging my the site, and from what you said carey, they seem like a reputable business. I'm new to the cichlid game, you think they'd be willing to help me construct my community? I've done my research and all but its always good to have an experts opinion.

The owner Gary is a very nice guy and will help you pick the right fish with no problem. he has been doing this for decades. LOL The store may look a little not like a store but if he brings you out back to the breeding and holding area you can find some exceptional fish. I got most of mine that way. he just scoops up a huge net full of fish and you can pick and choose from there. I've gotten some really nice fish that way that werent on display in the inside of the store.

I've never gotten a sick or dying fish not once from him. Every fish has been fine and healthy. He will even store credit you if you change your mind on the way you want to go. I initially started with all mbuna but traded them back so i could go all haps/peacocks.

awesome carey thanks a lot for the recommendation. i been going to the lfs Amazon Jungle on ridgewood, got my angels and barbs there because every thursday is buy one get one free fish! LOL... luckily my fish stayed very healthy but the stores tanks look pretty greenish sometimes and its common to see a floater or two. not to mention the confusing "Assorted African" label on the tank, i'd like to know what i'm getting... thanks again!

No problem...Gary and the guy who works at the store know what every single fish is, no "mixed africans" in his store. lol Make sure you write down what you buy they will make a list with the scientific names and common names for you if you ask. :)

Good luck! Let me know what you think when you check them out!

Went there today, awesome little place with a hugeeee selection! A younger guy was working, and I told him I was aiming for a 55g community tank. He showed me to the mbuna section and said when I'm all cycled and ready I'd be looking for 25-30 of the little guys. He seemed very knowledgeable, does that seem about right to you?

Aanother question I had and forgot to ask when I was there was, I know mbunas are rock dwellers, and I have rocks, but I dont know if I have enough hiding places for 25-30 fish to have their own spot. I'll attach a pic and tell me what you think you would do. Also, I really would like to keep this tank "all natural" and have been researching cichlid friendly plants. I just cant stand plastic and will end up throwing fake plants away sooner than later. Do you have any experience of your own with plants and cichlids? I have found some types online, and been told the more bitter tasting plants would do the trick but I'm not planning on sampling anything myself hahaha
thanks a lot for the advice so far!
enjoy the barbs in the pics!! hahaha

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 86
yep, thats the other guy you dealt with, he's really good too. You'll want as much rock and hiding spots as you can get, especially if you're going with mbunas. As far as plants, can;t help you there. I know there are a few that people have used that the fish won't eat but you should make a post in the cichlid section here and people can help you better.

Also, if you are gonna stock 20-25 fish there are proper ratios of male to female that you should adhere to. Also, a good bet would be to post in the cichlid section you'll get a lot of input. :)

Hope that helps, glad you like the shop. They have like everything in there. hehe

Back
Top Bottom