Settle a debate...Cardinal or ???(minnow?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barkmanusd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First - I know the pic is awful...hoping someone who knows the fish type will easily recognize it by the coloration...not the sharpnesss of the pic.
I think it;s a minnow but was sold as a Cardinal. The stripe is neon like a cardinal but it is white with a equal length black stripe running in parallel under it. The body is silver not blue like Card.s im familiar with.... Any ideas? i know there are a zillion tetras but I think Ive seen this one several times over the years... Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 105
Thanks for the pic - Yep thats the guy!! Any idea if they school as well as cardinals? Thanks again!!

THaks - going with White Mountain Cloud Minnow!

I was thinking minnow but hard to argue when I'm not a big tetra guy. I have discus & rams mostly but like cardinals for accent color. My wife bought these cause she was told they were cardinals.

Now I'm confused whether I should include them in a new tank I'm starting.... (Upgraded my 15+ year 55 gallon discus tank to a 75 gallon. These fish were to restock the old smaller tank) HHMMmmm.....
I know the white cloud minnows are compatible but anyone have an opinion on them? I can live with them if they begin to school....not so much for now!

Again, thanks to all!

What temp do you keep your ram and discus tank at? White clouds like cooler water, surviving down to even the low 40's. I would say the max temp I would put them in would be 80. That might conflict with your discus/ram's requirements.

It is definitely a white cloud and not a cardinal though.

They will school depending on how many you have in the tank. They are a very independent fish though, and do not depend on the rest of the school to explore their surroundings. Mine are compatible with everything and don't bully even my smallest ember tetras. They are a fabulous community fish.

Back
Top Bottom