Tallahassee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the FSU area. What are the best fish stores around, with the best prices? Any recommendations?

I can't help, as I'm not there yet. But I'm moving up in June and I was wondering if there were any you've gone to that were really bad?

I've only been to two places: Carol's Critters and High Tides. I like Carol's Critters a lot. I have never bought anything from High Tides, but I have heard and have seen a few sick fish in their selection, but I'm going today to check it out again. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks. I obviously don't know first hand, but I've read good things about Cutting Edge Aquatics.

Hey Jen,
I went to cutting edge and they have a pretty decent coral selection. They seem to be pretty overpriced though, both their fish and corals. A small frag of zoas cost around 25+... I did find the tallahassee aquarium club. They are on facebook and they are on google groups. I just joined the other day so I'm going to try it out. I'm looking to trade some corals so I'm gonna try them out...

I went to cutting edge to pick up a light when mine fried this weekend. I went in the store walked around for about 5 mins before anyone said anything to me. There were three people in the store and I think they were friends with the employee that was there. The employee finally helped me out but didn't really have answers to some of my questions. I'm not sure that I would return the that store unless it was an emergency.

I would definitely recommend High Tide Aquatics out on Capital Circle. It's a bit of a drive from campus but the guy there is extremely knowledgeable. The guy's name is Scott and he knew everything. Their prices are great and their selection is the best in town. Way better than cutting edge and carol's critters. I like carol's critters but cutting edge is very unprofessional. I feel like every thing the guy tries to sell me is a sales pitch. "This one's only a hundred bucks and it's got about 6 heads on it that sell for about 25$ a piece. I won't ever go to them again. High Tides is the best!

Not meaning to revive an old thread but I went to cutting edge today. Not a great looking part of town even though I'm new here.

I had somewhat high expectations because of the pictures on their site, but I was pretty disappointed, a pretty rinkydink place if you ask me. Normal FW fish selection seemed lacking, plenty of cichlids though. SW fish selection was lacking as well, corals looked okay, but not a great selection either. A few dead fish in the tanks as well.

I'll definitely stick to High Tide, a great looking place in a decent area, and closer to us than cutting edge

I agree. High Tide is amazing. I will not go to high cutting edge ever again. Do you have any frags you're trying to trade or get rid of iDream? I have a gsp frag and some kenya tree coral I'm looking to trade...

Back
Top Bottom