Water chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkkiwi1230

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still very new to this.

Lone story short, moved into a house with a fish tank already, we bout a bigger one, I didn’t know about the cycle stage.

I first started off with test strips but quickly ran out from testing so much. I used water from the old tank, added new water, some aque safe start stuff, and other stuff to condition the water. My water was doing fine. Then out of no where the nitrates or nitrite spike, or both. I added plants, did a few water changes, so fish died but I got it back to 0.

So 2 days ago, I wake up to 2 dead fish, I did a 50% water change, added the tap water bottle stuff and thought that would help. Yesterday, 3 more fish died. I added Start Zyme and did a 25% water change. Today 1 more fish died, and 1 I can tell he is still under stress and will probable die soon.

So today I broke down and bout the high dollar tester, plus I only had 1 strip left. I also bought 4 more plants and remove any that looked unhealthy.

55 Gallon Tank

PH- 7.6 or higher

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite- 1.0

Nitrate 10ppm

Sink water

PH-6.6

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

Fish left

1 African Frog

1 Betta in a Fry tank so she doesn’t hurt anyone

1 Albino Cory Catfish

1 (forgot the name) catfish

2 Angle fish

3 Platys

3 mollys and one looks like he might die tonight.

10 guppies

Plants

Added tonight

2 Bleher

1 Melon Sword

1 Argentine Sword

I don’t know much about plants, but I did the tests before adding them

Already in tank

Micro sword

Some combo set/ 1 was bamboo

The picture I will show is a test I did tonight. I know algae needs nitrites to grow, so I did a test with to see if it would kill the nitrates to stop algae growth. I was wrong, it made it worse. From left to right I stated with no algae killer, then each time added more…..

So any advise on the nitrites? I have no where to move the fish til I get this worked out. My 3rd tank is not ready yet.uploadfromtaptalk1455509760217.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would suggest a large (50%) water change to bump those nitrites down. 5 or 6 hours later I would do a second large water change.

It's best to have ammonia and nitrite down to 0.25ppm or less.

I would also suggest buying Prime as a water conditioner. It will detoxify the nitrates and any ammonia for a short time as well as condition your tap water.

Okay I'll do 2 water changes today. I was just scared to do too much in one day. I used stuff to make tap water safe. But now I'm out cause of space many water changes lol. I just hope my fish survive this. 6 have already died. I wish I knew about the cycle before I moved them . I had them in a 38 gallon and moved them to a 55 gallon.

Cause of so** many water changes (auto correct )

Back
Top Bottom