Anyone else in Iowa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in des moines and just started my first tank. may need some help...anyone else in des moines?

Nedim1 said:
I'm in des moines and just started my first tank. may need some help...anyone else in des moines?

I am in Ankeny, which is about twenty minutes from des Moines. What size is your tank?

its a 55 gallon tank. i need some help putting on checkvalves because i am so scared that it will flood. also need help with cycling the tank and adjusting my skimmer

Nedim1 said:
its a 55 gallon tank. i need some help putting on checkvalves because i am so scared that it will flood. also need help with cycling the tank and adjusting my skimmer

Well I don't know if I can help you in person, but I might be able to help you on here... you should start a thread on here about it and you would get way better advice then just from me. I don't have mulch experience with skimmers....

Guess I'll chime in, I'm in Ames with my 10gal. Toying with the prospect of turning it into a iwagumi aquarium but I'm not sure what my betta, clown pleco, and otocinclus would think of that...

Des Moines here. Frustrated with the lack of decent rock selection for hardscapes. Any advice? Ideally I'm looking for ADA Iwagumi style, but anything interesting will work.

CNeon said:
Des Moines here. Frustrated with the lack of decent rock selection for hardscapes. Any advice? Ideally I'm looking for ADA Iwagumi style, but anything interesting will work.

You are talking saltwater right?

No, freshwater tank. Have an empty 40 gallon long waiting to be scaped. I originally wanted to make an Iowa Bluff style layout with Iowa rocks (limestone), but Des Moines' water is already so hard I decided against making it harder with limestone.

The other option is to go for an amazon-style tank with some nice driftwood and java moss and load it up with some tetras or angels.

CNeon said:
No, freshwater tank. Have an empty 40 gallon long waiting to be scaped. I originally wanted to make an Iowa Bluff style layout with Iowa rocks (limestone), but Des Moines' water is already so hard I decided against making it harder with limestone.

The other option is to go for an amazon-style tank with some nice driftwood and java moss and load it up with some tetras or angels.

Both options sound cool. The first one would work if you used fake rock, and the second one would work for sure.

Same problem with fake rock as real rock. Any idea where one can get their hands on some high-quality fake rocks that match ADA Iwagumi rocks?

Anyone know of a fish club/ association in the des moines area?

des moines as well...
as for rock on freshwater look at the lakes like saylorville and big creek and thinks like that then just treat it and there you go

Back
Top Bottom