grand rapids, mi lfs review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. V.I.Pets. They offer two locations, Plainfield and South Division (there's one in Holland, MI also but I've never been there). Both stores have a good selection of all types of pets but clearly specialize in aquaria. The stores are kept clean, well stocked, and well staffed. The staff will give you the best knowledge they have to offer, or recommend a staff member who knows more. Their livestock, both fw and sw, is always healthy with questionable specimens in qt tanks not for sale. They have a selective guarantee policy that quite often does not cover harder to keep species.
2. Petsmart. There are multiple locations, I have been to the Canal and 28th Street stores. The 28th Street location typically has very healthy looking specimens, otherwise they are your "run of the mill" big-box pet stores.
3. Curious World Pet Store. They have two locations, Baldwin in Jenison and Breton at 29th Street. Both stores are evidently poorly run with unmotivated staff and stock that leaves something to be desired. The Baldwin location I avoid at all costs. The Breton store, in spite of it's staff, normally has a good selection of healthy looking fw and sw specimens.

I call the Plainfield V.I.Pets my lfs, and would highly recommend them to any local or visitor. The staff is genuinely concerned about their customers and their pets, and seemingly want to help more than make a dollar. Despite their recent decision to carry painted tetras :( they are, in my opinion, the best lfs in the area. :)

I actually preferr Blue Reef Aquaria on Baldwin in Jenison...There is a VI Pets right down the street from them too. I have used both. Both are good, but Blue reef really knows their stuff!! And they service tanks.

I actually preferr Blue Reef Aquaria on Baldwin in Jenison...There is a VI Pets right down the street from them too. I have used both. Both are good, but Blue reef really knows their stuff!! And they service tanks.

I agree with this.

It was recommended to me by...an employee at VIPets.

Overall, VIPets is good with pricing and selection, but I cannot agree that the employees are always so knowledgeable about the fish.

I have both SW and FW. I went to the VIPets that is the main SW store, and the answers I received to my questions were either partially right or completely wrong in a number of cases.

For example, there was a coris wrasse that looked like a clownfish. I asked if it would change color and how big it would get. The girl with the help of a guy named Dan said that the fish would not change color and would not get much bigger. If I had listened to that advice and bought the fish, then I would eventually be losing some of my fish.

Also, the girl said that I could put two firefish gobies together in the same fish. This is true if they are a pair. I bought two, and being that they are smaller, so far so go in my 120g.

When I went to Blue Reef Aquaria, I was impressed with the selection and the knowledgeable staff. It was very noticeable that these people would not sell fish just to sell fish.

I still would say that VIPets is a good place to go, but you had better do your own research when it comes to SW fish prior to your visit (which you should do anyhow). Do not let yourself buy a fish that you do not have complete knowledge of. Personally, I would not trust that the staff will know the answers.

As for Curious World, I have never been there.

Back
Top Bottom