question on pregnant swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swordtail_man05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello. im brand new to this site/forums so if this doesnt belong in this exact section, please forgive me :) i am from ohio though.

my question is how can u tell if a sowrdtail is pregnant? it is a silver swordtail i got from petland close to where i live and is the only survivor out of 3 and incedintally were the first 3 fish i got for the tank. at the moment, its a 5 gallon tank but i will be getting a 14 gallon tank after xmas.

anyways, she is bulging out on her underside right below her gills and extends to her "butt" if u would.

any infromation is extremely helpful and appretiated

I would say she's prego then. Check out that website I posted, there will be more information in there than I can give you lol.
Good luck with your new babies (when they arrive)!

i have looked at the site that you linked and indeed she is prego. i find this amazing since she had quite a tramatic night a few days ago. she decided she was going to jump into the front of the filter! luckly, i heard her splashing around and went to investigate and when i removed the filter cover, she jumped again only to land behind the stand on a poster i had rolled up. i quickly gathered her up and put her back in the water. and she is completly fine (as far as i can tell). she eats and zips around just like the others in there with her.

I had a similar incident with a swordtail, i accidently left the lid on the hood open when I left the house. When i came back i found a dried fishy friend on the carpet. I'm glad you found her in time. If you can, put up some pics of the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom