water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was wondering what kind of water you all use in your tanks. mike didn't you tell me that he use your tap water for your salt water tank? i thought you couldn't use this because of the copper in the water.

I also use tap water to top off my tank, I test for CU and levels are at 0. I also buy salt water from my LFS for water changes. My tap water seems to be no problem for any of my tanks.

I would recommend you buy a test kit and see if your tap water contains copper. My tap water is well water, so its free of clorine and other chemicals.

sweet yeah i tested mine a few months ago and it tested positive for copper thats why i asked because i didn't know everyone else didn't have this. see with my house the waterlines are all copper tubbing thus the reason for the copper in the water. well that sucks

The copper is probably coming from some other source. My house has copper lines and it doesnt put copper in the water. I think water would have to sit a long time in the lines to accually get copper in it. It may be coming from the treatment plant considering you probably have city water.

kribbz, i have a ro/di unit, if you want to start getting water from me, i know you were getting it from velco, i tested his with a tds meter and it measured the same as our tap water, right around 150. my water levels are at 0. I dont remember what velco charges but i can do better for you if your interested. let me know.
Jason
how much water you use a week?

jason i will probably take you up on that but it's up to my mom really. because while i'm away at school she does small water changes and top offs for me. shes been a great sport about it. she goes to velco to get the water because it's on her way home so i'll talk to her and see what she wants to do.

no not yet because i'm at school right now and it is just easier for her to go to Velco but over the summer if jblitz is still willing i will probably take him up on it. that is if i don't buy a unit myself

hey hey hey, tested my water this week and it tested negative for copper. now let me clarify, the original water i tested at my house was from a distiller and after taking it apart i realized that all the water sat in a copper vat after being distilled. hence the reason for the copper in the water. so i tested my tap for copper and low and behold...... no copper. just make sure i asked djswift to test it also and.... no copper. :lol: so my big question is what do i have to do to use this water in my tank. i'm sure i have to get rid of the chlorine somehow but can some of you give me a few hints. i don't think i will be mixing salt yet just because as of right now i only come home like every other weekend. thanks kyle

Back
Top Bottom