Cycling for Tank Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2buzzby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 25g live plant tank with two Marineland 225 canister filters, an Aquaripure nitrate filter made for a 60g tank and air stone. There are currently 2 goldfish that are about 6 inches long and one 4 inch long.

I am planning to upgrade to a 50g tank using all the same equipment and gravel. I will have to add some new gravel and plants because of the increase surface area of the tank floor.

Is it necessary to cycle the new tank before putting in the fish or can I transfer all their equipment, plants, gravel and an additional bacteria product?

Don't quote me on that. But I believe you can transfer everything, water included.

But I'm not sure how you will add more gravel.

You could add all existing things to it, but it will probably still experience a mini cycle. Water column doesn't hold a lot of beneficial bacteria. Most is in the filter media and substrate.

If you're transferring everything from the old tank you won't need to cycle. Your bacteria are in your filter and your substrate, so as long as you keep those you're golden.

Back
Top Bottom