Flourite in Houston, Tx?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Innovator

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in Houston, Texas and wondering if anyone knows which lfs' carry and have the best prices for Flourite?

Thank you :)

What part of Houston are you in? I know the city well...work here, and I know stores all around. I dunno which ones carry Flourite, but I can refer you to stores in your area (hopefully) that you can contact.

45N and 1960, on the border of Spring. I'm just hunting for Flourite or Eco Complete, seeing if anyone has any deals out there/here...somewhere :) Gotta love a bargain ;)

I know most of the saltwater stores, but those that sell both fw and sw usually have such a high markup :|

A bit of a drive for you but City Pets, Beechnut and Beltway 8 routinely stocks Flourite and EcoComplete. Best prices in town. Give 'em a call...

Best regards,

William

45N and 1960, on the border of Spring. I'm just hunting for Flourite or Eco Complete, seeing if anyone has any deals out there/here...somewhere :) Gotta love a bargain ;)

I know most of the saltwater stores, but those that sell both fw and sw usually have such a high markup :|

I'm sorry man...I didn't think you answered the post. My email didn't notify me about this one, lol.

Lets see...if you don't wanna go broke, don't go to Fish gallery or Aquarium World. Definitely visit both stores if you've never been (they're both spectacular), but I buy very little from either one. Uhhh...best prices in Houston on Livestock --- Fishland. They're on Westheimer right around Gessner in a big shopping center. Andy over there is awesome. No corals at all over $50.00. even big, huge brains, or euphyllia, etc.. I seel Xenia to him sometimes. Uhh..lets see, there's a new store on 1960 in Humble next to Academy. It's called Blue Reef Exotic Fish 281-540-blue. They're pretty new, so I would call. If they don't have it they'll order it...just tell her you're looking for a deal, and see if she'll hook you up. Fish R US in conroe is pretty high... You may also call Ultimate Aquarium. They're so so on pricing.
Lemme know if you have any luck. Hope it works out for you!
Know of any upcoming events or frag swaps?

Fishland is on Synott and Westheimer (southwest corner). I've known Andy for years and he is a top notch guy. Great prices on equipment, dry goods, supplies, filters etc. He's geared for saltwater and doesn't carry Flourite. Maria - City Pets - Beechnut @ Beltway will have the best prices in town for plant substrates.

Best regards,

William

Fishland is .... geared for saltwater and doesn't carry Flourite.

Yeah, i wasn't sure about the flourite...I just knew he was a top notch guy and had great prices. I've spent hours upon hours in that store, lol.
It's probably my favorite place to go.

Yes I keep saltwater. I am extremely familiar with all the fish stores in and around Houston including Galveston, but wasn't familiar with which were best for fw substrates. Thanks for the information. Personally, other than wholesale, I prefer AquariumWorld's livestock still over the rest just because they seem to get better looking animals. The coral stocks are rather pathetic, though. Fish Gallery has some of the nicest fw plants compared to others, but overly priced and their sw...well, I'll just stop here. I am not really impressed with any of Texas' aquarium stores, but perhaps I am just spoiled :)

Have you seen Aquarium World's 40,000 gal tank lately? What's up with all of that red algae in there? Kinda funky. Yes...they're livestock is good looking. The fish Gallery has some awesome looking planted stuff. It's made me want to get into that area of the hobby every time I've gone in there, but I just don't have any more room for additional tanks, lol.
Where are you from, then? Closer to one of the coasts?

Aquarium World's main display has always looked utterly horrible from what I hear. It is sad because there is so much potential in that tank. I'm in Spring (technically still considered Houston), or at least just before you hit Spring (1960/45).

It is sad. You think they'd be able to keep that thing looking good. Have you noticed that huge LR trough? That thing filters that monster tank. It's a pretty amazing setup, but it does look pretty unspectacular. No..I remember you said you were from Spring, I was just talking about when you said Houston's LFS weren't very good, and you were spoiled. I was just wondering where you were that got you spoiled, lol:p
Are you a member of MARSH (marine and reef society of Houston)? Iwas thinking of joining, but they don't look like they host many events from looking at their website. I'm kinda interested in finding some kinda group of local aquarists that likje to get together and share knowledge..frags, etc.
I work in HJouston, but live in Coldspring (south side of Lake Livingston). I used to live in Spring too. Kinda Aldine-Westfield/1960 area, and then Champions - Wunderlich/1960. I loved it in Champions, but the traffic is brutal. If you live on the west side of Kuykendahl I feel for ya brother.

Ah, originally Cali. I remember being able to go down a single street filled with at least 5-10 wholesalers and cherry picking. Good times! The lfs' also just seemed alot more updated in their presentations and stocks. Of course, they are a major import so that's to be expected. I am not a member of marsh and never saw the need to be one, but you may enjoy it...who knows :) . It normally takes me about 45mins. to get to work and same for the return trip, which I don't mind one bit :)

Cali, sweet. It's been a while since I've been, but what a beautiful state. Well...you have me beat on the commute. I have an 1 1/2 hr. ride in, and an 1 3/4 hr ride home :(.
Oh well, that's life, lol.
Cool...well if you're ever in the mood to swap some xenia for a frag of something else...I have tons of it. I usually sell it to a LFS every month or so. It just grows right back, and I keep on harvestin'.

Back
Top Bottom